Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 year old dealing with my Dx

Hi,

I am worried about how my son is processing my MS diagnosis (Dxed 9/13). He is a smart, precocious kid and I have been fairly upfront about what is happening to me. Lately, he has been asking many questions about how and why I am sick--me too! He seems very angry at times and I don't blame him--super mom cannot do everything anymore! This morning he told me he had a dream that his best friend had MS and needed shots (I take Copaxone). Any parenting advice? I don't think he needs a therapist as he is communicating his feelings to me and he is still thriving at school. I just want him to worry less.

Thanks! Have a great day, Kelly

Have you seen these materials geared for kids?

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/mul...lin/index.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
      Have you seen these materials geared for kids?

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/mul...lin/index.aspx
      That's a great resource. Good luck, Mama!
      Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

MSAA also has a booklet for kids. I have seen these and they are also very good.

http://www.mymsaa.org/PDFs/Mommys_Story.pdf

You can either download it or have it mailed to you.

Good Luck. Is alot for a young child to try to understand.

Comment

My Experience

My niece has had a mommy with MS since she was 2 years old. Our approach has been to explain the best we can as she has grown (she's 12 now).

Each age brought it's own questions and right about 5-7 she did go through an angry stage. My sister and I decided to give her a little perspective and took her to a MS event for families at the Crayola factory as a vacation day trip. There she got to meet and interact with many other kids with parents with MS.

She got to see what can happen, but that they were still okay and the parents did their best. She also got to talk to other kids. She asked the adults questions like "why are you in a wheelchair?" "Why do you walk like that?" and everyone was wonderful and answered they best they could. It really helped her and when she asked if it would happen to her mommy, we said maybe, maybe not.

As she has aged online chat rooms and message boards have been there for her as support from her peers (very valuble). Be as open as you can. Tell him it's okay to be angry, but to challenge the anger well (not at you or other family members. Maybe an activity?)

My niece now gives my sister her shots in the hard to reach places and is involved in drs. visits. She's a part of it too.

It's your decision and your choices. But I recommend never to lie to the kids, they really do always know and it destroys trust. If you don't want to share, say it's personal and private and leave it there.

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
          X