Relapse or just a new "normal"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapse or just a new "normal"?

I was diagnosed with RRMS, November 2013, after a few weeks of progressive leg numbness and balance issues. I had active lesion throughout my brain and thoracic spine. I had 4 doses of IV solumedrol then home with prednisone taper. I started feeling better 3 weeks ago. The numbness and tingling was gone until 5 days ago. I am now feeling numbness and tingling in my hands and today my right foot. So after all that, is this something I should call my MS center or wait til the 13th for my next appointment?

Thank you!
    Christina

A good guideline is: When in doubt, call your doctor for instructions. Your doc will decide if it can wait or if you should come in to the office sooner than your appointment.

Another thing you'll find out by calling your doctor's office is how responsive they are to phone calls. Some offices call back within a few hours, some the next day, some later and some not at all. (Yes that actually happens sometimes ). Finding out what your doctor's "style" is and how to get along with him/her is one of the tedious tasks of managing a chronic condition. ) If you don't get a call back within 24 hours, call again and keep it up until you get an answer.

Since you have a new symptom in a new area (your hands) it might be a flare. But not all flares need to be treated, depending on how serious they are and how much trouble they are or aren't causing. Some doctors won't treat small areas of only sensory symptoms. But considering that this is your hands and not, say, your elbow, that might make a difference. And if a flare is going to be treated, it has to be done within 2 weeks of it starting to get the benefit of steroids.

All of the considerations can get a little complicated (kind of like i before e except after c... ) so sometimes you just have to call your doctor and let your doc decide what's best in the situation.

I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Thank you so much for the reply! Of course this all happens on a holiday. I will call first thing tomorrow morning. It's silly but I'm nervous he's gonna recommend another course of steroids. I felt worse on those. Just when I thought I was ready to go back to work

Christina

Comment

Just a little update, spoke with the neuro's PA yesterday, MRI for this Sunday and if any new activity a week of Iv solumedrol. On the positive I am JC negative and will be starting the process of tysabri infusions!

Thank you for your help
        Christina

Comment

Good news Christina! I think you will like Ty, its pretty good at keeping the MRIs stable. I hope your next one is clear of any activity!

Take care
          Lisa
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X