Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing weight?

anyone been losing weight?

I've probably lost about 10 lbs in the past few years without changing anything. I wonder if it's due to decreased muscle mass.

Comment

I am. I'm not much of an eater anyway. I think the meds speed up my metabolism too. When I do eat a big meal, I get very full and stay full for hours. I feel much better when I eat low fat with very little meat. So far, I haven't had any comments from my family or my doctors.

Comment

Hi momoftwoboys,

Weight loss is not a typical symptom of MS, if that's what you mean. Certain medications used for MS can affect weight gain or loss, though. I'm not sure which meds you may be on. One of the DMTs (Disease Modifying Therapies), Gilenya, caused weight loss for me, and weight gain was always a side effect I had from IV Steroids.

There could be other medical conditions for unexplained weight loss, such as hyperthyroidism. It could be due to a loss of muscle mass due to a decrease in activity, like misslux suggested, but that takes a while to occur. Other symptoms in MS can affect a person's ability or desire to eat, such as trouble swallowing, extreme fatigue, or depression.

I'd recommend a visit to your Primary Care Physician to explore the reason this is happening if it's something you are experiencing.

Good luck,
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I've lost 20 pounds

I have lost 20 pounds since starting Aubagio. Don't know if that is what is causing the weight loss but I needed to lose it anyway.

I am just not very hungry anymore.

Comment

20 lbs. 20+ inches in 1 month

Originally posted by momoftwoboys View Post
            anyone been losing weight?
            Yes, and in the middle of monthly IV solu-medrol treatments...along with very unusual skin condition lasting 8 mts., lose of muscle mass, do not seem to be growing hair. Head hair not effected. Go figure.

Comment

40 pounds now

I posted about a year ago that I had lost 20 pounds. Now it is 40 and I am really looking thin and feeling weak. My Dr. checked for everything he could think of and he and my neuro say it is the Aubagio. I am still taking it because since I started over 2 years ago, no flares and no new lesions. But I have to find something to help with the weight and appetite. If I eat more than a tiny amount I feel sick.

Comment

Aubagio

Originally posted by loopey View Post
                I have lost 20 pounds since starting Aubagio. Don't know if that is what is causing the weight loss but I needed to lose it anyway.

I am just not very hungry anymore.
                Are you still on Aubagio, I'm trying to decide between that at Gileyna. I don't won't to lose any hair to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittylips1 View Post
                  Are you still on Aubagio, I'm trying to decide between that at Gileyna. I don't won't to lose any hair to be honest.
                  I stopped Aubagio 2 1/2 years ago and am not taking any DMT at the moment. My weight stabilized and I didn't really have much hair loss, just some at the beginning.

Comment

Hi Momoftwoboys,

I am 12 years dx with MS (PP now). In that time lost 16+ lbs. Copaxone for 8 years, No DMT since. Throught out adult life I have been at proper BMI. Currently very lean but only on the right side. Any measure of calf, biceps even wrist will confirm what the eye notices immediately.

My trainer points to muscle mass.

Muscle, appears compact but weighs more than fat. The "tone" a Neuro mentions as a negative when he refers to spasticity, is actually the goal of many normal people. A tighter body with little body fat and defined muscle. This describes my left side. My right side reflects muscle emaciation. Hopefully, I have plateaued.

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                    Weight loss is not a typical symptom of MS, if that's what you mean. ...It could be due to a loss of muscle mass due to a decrease in activity, like misslux suggested, but that takes a while to occur.

I'm guessing that PPMS is now taking what ever is available (muscle mass, regardless of the use I work hard at). I credit exercise for a bit less spasticity and the plateau I mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                    X