Marriage and SSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage and SSI

I receive SSI only am 46 years old. And am looking at getting married. I understand that I would lose it but if I was divorced would it come back or would I have to go to court. Also is there a time limit say I got married and then divorced within a year or 6 months??

Originally posted by mseals View Post
    I receive SSI only am 46 years old. And am looking at getting married. I understand that I would lose it but if I was divorced would it come back or would I have to go to court. Also is there a time limit say I got married and then divorced within a year or 6 months??
    I would speak to Social Security, I am married and receive SSDI.

Comment

SSI deeming

Hello, mseals and tspaulding. If one is receiving SSI benefits, is married and living with one's spouse, the spouse's benefits can be "deemed", meaning, that the spouse's income may lower one's SSI benefits. One should check with SSA concerning whether deeming would occur in one's specific circumstances.

In addition, if both spouses are receiving SSI, then there is a maximum amount that the two spouses can receive. For the year 2014, the maximum SSI benefit is $721/month for an individual, but for a couple it is $1,082/month, less than what each individual would receive if not married. Also, if one divorces and receives maintenance (i.e., alimony), it could reduce one's SSI benefits as unearned income.

Here's a link to some more information (a bit technical) from SSA's website concerning deeming - http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/...book-2167.html.

Tspaulding, I agree with mseals - talk to SSA regarding your specific situation and best of luck.

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
      X