SSDI denial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI denial

I filed a while back and was denied. It was a huge slap in the face, like they're saying that MS doesn't hardly affect me at all. I really wish it's those people that had to deal with this crap instead of those of us who want to make an honest living and suddenly can't anymore.

I ended up appealing on my own because I accidentally waited too long and didn't have time to consult anyone. Denied again. This time it says because I am able to use both of my hands and enough use of my legs for a sedentary job (that still puts me at risk of falling any time I have to get up, but I guess we can just ignore that fact to save a few bucks). Ok, but what about the fact that my vision issues prevent me from driving half of the time? Or that I can't even remember what day it is or that I had a bill due that I forgot to pay? Then there's the fact that, no matter how much I sleep, I always get so lethargic every day that I have to stop what I'm doing to take a nap, sometimes two. Somehow that was totally left out.

The letter states the next step if I disagree is to get a hearing with the ALJ. Since I just got the letter, I will be contacting an attorney, but am I wasting my time? I know of so many people who are milking the system and are perfectly capable of making a living, but it's the people with legit problems that can't get the help they need. I would be working right now if I could. My body doesn't want to function the way I need it to though, but someone who is looking at papers has decided that I can just get up and do everything that everyone else does without any problems. Is this even worth fighting for anymore?
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

I feel your pain.

I had a court hearing on 10/24/13, I still have not heard a thing.

I spent almost 2 years preparing for the hearing. I got to tell my story in 15 minutes.

I worked since I was 14 alot of the times 2 and 3 jobs just to make ends meet. What did the judge say. Well why didn't you just get 1 better paying sit down job. Didn't have time to tell her that I was kicked out at 14 had to quit school and work where ever I could. I was given a hard time instead of given what I have worked so hard for my disability benefits. It's a bunch of crap.

I will keep fighting no matter what the decision is. I CAN'T WORK. I HAVE NO CHOICE.

If you hire a lawyer be aware they don't answer your phone calls. you will only get to speak to them when you hire them and the day before the hearing.

Find someone that will be willing to answer your calls and your questions. Every time I call I get the paralegal.

Good luck.

They don't get that there is no cure and no getting better.
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Hello, lstrl and mercadies25. Lstrl, based upon what you have described I would not give up, despite what may have happened with other peoples' claims. And yes, I do recommend that you hire an attorney who handles these claims. I belong to the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) (www.nosscr.org) and that is one source of information for finding an attorney who handles these claims. There are other ways, too, and I can give further guidance in that regard.

Mercadies25, just because that was your experience with your attorney does not mean that is the way that all attorneys operate. The main thing is whether the attorney's team stays in communication and is properly handling the claim.

I wish you both a very happy holiday season and a good New Year.

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Hi LS. I helped my mother get on SSI. I think that she actually has MS but got it for depression and RA. All of her limbs work as well as her eyes. I told her to not take it personally if they denied her, because most claims are denied. It seems this is an outbranching of "deterrence" practiced by homeless shelters, they turn everyone away and hope they wind up on someone's sofa.

Amazingly she got it the first try but this is not the norm and not a value judgement. I am sharing so that you know it is really capricious and nothing to take personally. A lawyer will retroactively take from your lump sum payment dated from when your successful application is put in, but using one will greatly increase your chances.

Comment

Working...
        X