Hair Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hair Loss

My hair is really thinning and I'm quite upset. Did an internet search and found that it can happen with any auto-immune disease, such as MS. Anyone else experienced/experiencing this? Can anything be done? Rogaine? I see my neuro next month. Also see my GP next month as well.

There are be different causes for hair loss/thinning:

- Medications: DMDs, steroids and others
    - Stress
    - Genetics (yes, this can also happen to women)
    - Thyroid problems

If you have not had any recent blood work done you may want to see your PCP to rule out medical causes.

There is a line of hair care products which address this issue:

Nioxin:
    http://nioxin.com/en-US/the-causes-a...ge.aspx?id=236
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hair Loss

I totally have this. Before I was diagnosed with MS I went in to my doctor for it and he checked my thyroid and when that came back normal he referred me to a dermatologist. She could not come up with anything. I wasn't on any medications. My life is pretty simple so stress was not on the table. Now that I have been diagnosed with MS I saw this can be one of the signs. I would give anything to have my old hair back.

Comment

I have the same problem with hair loss - and yikes what a shock that was, since I've always had such thick hair. When I mentioned it to a new hairdresser, she recommended getting the supplement, Biotin (a B vitamin). It seems to have really helped!

Comment

Same problem here. I have an appt. with family doctor for some blood work. But a week ago I started Biotin supplements. I also bought some Biotin shampoo and conditioner, that is an all natural shampoo and without some of the ingredients that I read may be contributing to hair loss as well. And then I bought some thickening crème to put on my five hairs (!), which really does help instantly, and some powder that you brush into the empty spots on your scalp to give the impression you have hair there. It really does a good job with the illusion, but I want real hair!!
          Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
          Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
          dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

Yes, my hair has thinned and I believe it is medication related along with age and genetics. My dermatologist told me to take 5,000 mcg biotin. Do get your vitamin D level checked along with thyroid checked. When I tested very low for vitamin D levels, my hair barely grew at all. Now that I'm at a higher level, hair is growing again.

Comment

Biotin and Hair Growth

Started taking biotin - I now have hair growth in other areas - arms and face. Did this happen to anyone else?

Comment

Hair loss

I was loosing quite a bit of hair, so the DR checked my thyroid level. And now I don't have nearly as much falling out.

Comment

I was also facing the issues with hair fall from last 2 months..I had tried everything,but it can't help me out..Then my doc suggest me to use natural hair product " Kadi " & guess what happened?? My hair's growth drastically cheers up and now I am really happy with the results..

Comment

steroid treatment

My LONG, THICK gorgeous hair fell out 75% after my first "mild" steroid treatment. It is really really slowly growing back in. The MILD steroids also made me a raging crazy person for a full month so I can't use steroids as a treatment at all now since the Dr's were pretty clear that the steroids were a horrible option for me. So at least we will see what my hair looks like when these little pieces & chunks grow back in....for now I keep having to chop my hair down to match up closer to what is growing in. Usually I just try not to think about what I looked like only 2 years ago...breathe smile breathe smile...

Comment

A year before my MS diagnosis I developed alopecia. Absolutely terrifying because my GP couldn't give me even a *hint* as to what it might be. Having to wait 2 months to see a dermatologist; by that time half the hair on my head was gone. It came out it handfuls. Several months and cortisone shots later ( and a large collection of hats) most had grown back but I continue to have at least 2 or 3 ongoing spots of hair loss. I really should make an appt for more shots, but now that I've just started daily injections of Copaxone I can't bear the thought of getting my head poked too.My dermatologist insists the two aren't related but it's hard to believe they are not. Yes, I'm whining...but Jeeeez. I know there are far worse things than losing one's hair....

Comment

Biotin

Biotin has really hepled me and besides MS I have a hyper-throid. It really bothers me because I had so much hair.

Oh well.......just another thing to dal with. I take 10,000 bcg and helped with my B-12 alot. Dr. was pleased.

Best of luck if you give it a try.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                        RRMS
                        Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Kadi shampoo

BarbaraTheron you posted you used Kadi shampoo to help with your extreme hair loss. Where did you find it? I'm in such a panicky state of my hair loss from Aubagio. Thanks.

Comment

I found that getting my d levels up and taking biotin did slow my recently begun hair loss. Some people recommend not washing every day but that was never something I could embrace. Old habits die hard I guess.

Comment

Working...
                            X