Muscle Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle Pain

I'm just wondering how many people experience muscle pain because of their MS. This is the second time this has happened to me in 2 or 3 months. It feels like I did a work-out yesterday -- my leg muscles are sore, arms, shoulders, neck. I just kind of hurt all over. It isn't the kind of nervy type pain that might be associated with MS. The last one lasted for 3 or 4 days. I do experience muscle spasms in my right leg, but this is different. I'm getting older, so who knows what might be causing it. Just wondered if it is MS or something else. Thanks for your input!

I get the same thing in my Muscles in my calves. I found that gabapentin has helped me.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I hurt EVERY DAY!! Nothing seems to help. I am taking Gabapentin and it was working...then it stopped. I am up to 2400mg a day with Hydrocodone. My nerve pain and muscle pain is almost constant. I wake up feeling like I have been lifting weights all night. I hope you find some relief...it really does wear you out.

Comment

Pain Syndromes

I started taking Cymbalta about 2 years ago and it works great in reducing the pain (not eliminating; but it's definitely tolerable now). I take 60 mgs in a.m., and same in the evening.

Comment

Oh, the pain

I'm now 54 and was just dx on 12/12/12 (happy birthday to me!). From about the time I was in my late 20's to early 30's I started hurting. I'd wake up in the morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck. My now ex-hub had the audacity to tell me I needed to exercise. (Taking care of a child, yard/garden/home, him, working 60 hrs a week, aerobics on my lunch hour -- right, I lacked exercise). By the time I was in my 40's I was convinced I had fibroid myalgia. Doctor said no. I was now going to the gym 2 hours a day before heading to work -- that ended when dh walked in one too many times with his girlfriend. He was sick and tired or me being sick and tired and in pain. The doctor decided I was depressed and put me on Zoloft. I was still in excruciating pain. Not depressed just mad. Finally, Cymbalta hit the market and my doctor put me on it. It was like a miracle pill. For years I was pain free. The pain started creeping back in about 3 years ago. I just got a notice from Medicare that they will only cover 40 mg a day starting 1/2014. Not looking forward to that.

Cymbalta really is great for that muscular skeletal pain!

Comment

Originally posted by As4OurHaus View Post
            I'm just wondering how many people experience muscle pain because of their MS. This is the second time this has happened to me in 2 or 3 months. It feels like I did a work-out yesterday -- my leg muscles are sore, arms, shoulders, neck. I just kind of hurt all over. It isn't the kind of nervy type pain that might be associated with MS. The last one lasted for 3 or 4 days. I do experience muscle spasms in my right leg, but this is different. I'm getting older, so who knows what might be causing it. Just wondered if it is MS or something else. Thanks for your input!

Yes, I would say it's the MS. I have severe muscle pain due to spasticity affecting my right side limbs, specifically right arm. Intensity varies but constant. At times it can bring tears.

If you're in fairly good shape, exercise helps (MHO), If not I guess soreness is expected from any real exercise. I'm going to focus on the yoga aspect (stretching) more often with the hope that I will be able to continue with weight / strength routines some have become limited... regardless of pain.

63 yo, M, MS dx @ 6 years, avoiding pain drugs so far.

Jer

Comment

Thanks! I tend to blame anything mysterious on my M.S. I have had so many random things in my life! Pain is gone now except in my right arm (weird) like I was carrying a heavy bucket around all day yesterday. When I read about the usual types of M.S. pain this type doesn't come up as often. I do have on and off leg pain because my gait is off, but this pain definitely feels like I worked out (not!).

Comment

Hey as4ourhaus...another down-winder here... I experience muscle pain also; like I worked out the day before.

The last few days it has been my inner thighs. And I walk weirdly also but this is unrelated.

Justacowgirl
                Newport
                Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Ditto welcome to my world also

Comment

Lyrica

dr said try Lyrica, prescription, and I am currently just starting last nite first dose and today I feel like I can tackle the world, no more like I've been lifting weights. Can it be the Lyrica??? Maybe, maybe it was going to leave. But after weeks of muscle pain holding me hostage, I am willing to try anything. so for now I will say its the Lyrica. Hope it keeps working, so I can keep playing
                    Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

Comment

Muscle pains

Hi
                      I experience leg pains and strong nerve pains in my arms which I experience on my right and left side, I have just returned from hospital from a 3 day treatment of steroids which currently calm my symptoms down for now. This is my 4th treatment with in the last 12 months.

Good Luck
                      Tony

Comment

Same here, I wake up feeling like I just went across the Los Angeles marathon finish line and beat up like I was in a WWE wrestling match. IDK if I still shout out paramedic instructions in my sleep anymore, I sure hope not.

It seems the winters are worse or, i am just getting worse, or my tolerance is reduced.

Sometimes I take oxycodone to take the pain away and some very strong expresso with caffeine and 1/4 teaspoon of herb(mmj), just to get out of bed. Once it starts working i can't sit still...caffeine has always made me restless and with the pain reduced, I do feel better and get on with the day.

I Just hate to take the meds.

IMHO, when a medication stops working so well and it once did. I personally (with my MD's approval) stop taking it, not at once..most of the meds have to be reduced slowly. And take a break from it.

Then i re-start it and get the relief, I once did. For some odd reason, I fear high dose's and dependency. Although, I have no choice being 'dependent' on M.S. to screw things up, for me. More concerned of the meds not working...been there, done that.

It has been so very long since I can remember getting up without taking something for this. Since my balance returned, it is worth taking the meds, to get out and walk my little dog! My first priority. fed

Comment

Bumping up this post on leg pain...

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say that I am now experiencing the feeling of having 'just run a marathon', too.

My legs were very stiff first thing in the morning...then I took my dog for his daily a.m. walk...First, I could barely take any steps (we had just gotten approx. 6 inches of snow last night!)...it was like the soles of my feet were so tender...I guess that is like the 'walking on rocks' feeling I have read about.

Then, after lasting about 25 minutes, and taking a hill, very very slowly (!)...I got home, and now I can barely move. My feet hurt while I am just sitting, and I don't look forward to any walking, right now. Every leg, arm, even hands, ache! No fun. I might have to ask my Dr. about one of the meds that have been mentioned by several of you, in this post (thank you!).

Hope all are feeling better by now...Love and Light...Jan (undx'd).

Comment

Thanks for bumping this post up, gazdajl. I often feel as if I am sore even though I hadn't been working out. I never thought it could be MS. I thought it was just being out of shape!
                            With love, jade.
                            Schizoaffective Disorder 2001, RRMS 2005, Copaxone 6 yrs, Tecfidera 6 mths, Copaxone again.
                            "God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God."
                            - Romans 8:28

Comment

I lived with (and still do to some extent) with pain all the time. The docs would prescribe this and that...it would work for a while, maybe and then stop working.

After a few years, I started getting massages. My massage therapist noticed there were areas he could not touch due to the fact I would yelp in pain. He suggested a chiropractor.

I never liked the idea of chiropractors but finally decided to give it a try. Best thing I did. Having proper body alignment helps my muscles not to have to work as hard thus decreasing the amount of pain I am in.

I had meds that zonk me out. I am still working full time as a nurse, although not direct patient care anymore.

I encourage you to try alternate treatments. It's worth a shot.
                              Jodi
                              "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
                              X