Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discouraged at VA & becoming bitter? (vent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discouraged at VA & becoming bitter? (vent)

After over a year of PVA sitting on my S/C claim, doing NOTHING, and had to file on my own w/o PVA and yet another year following my appeal has gone by, still NOTHING!

Last year I fell and broke 5 ribs, kidneys started shutting down and was hospitalized and had further problems, no thanks to the VA. My VA MS neuro did send me to renal clinic and urology, both a waste of time and money.

In fact just over a week after being sent yet again to VA urology and GOMER'd (as usual) I ended up at St Jo hospital and an emergency procedure, scheduled for testing and later surgery. (successful).

At my last MS clinic apt, and nearly falling, my MS neuro of nearly 4yrs asked how I was able to get around at home. I told him I used a chair part-time, and of course he is fully aware I need a scooter (again no thanks to the VA, 100% out of my limited pocket) for larger places.

I have had to cut back some on scooter use (and outings from home) because it is causing problems with my arm & shoulder lifting it in and out of my car.

Despite repeated falls resulting in several surgeries, hospitalizations etc the VA has yet to even help with a single mobility aid of any kind. Even after what happened at my last MS apt, my MS doc did not even refer me for any aids to help reduce my falling problems. Maybe its not his place as far as the VA is concerned?

To me, common sense would say, provide a mobility aid and it would be cheaper than even one surgery or hospitalization, not to mention the pain and recovery.

As far as the S/C issues, I have multiple documentation of sick bay visits of MS related issues in my active duty service record that were not properly handled and can prove it via both military and non military/VA medical records and even some WITH AD records yet nothing, nada zip!

I had to travel to Detroit and visit the PVA office there in person just to get my appeal documented that I had filed it properly and on time. I had also requested a hearing but that is yet to be acknowledged despite repeated calls to the PVA in Detroit. The closer PVA rep at the Ann Arbor VA is totally worthless (unless you are misfit seeking to change a dishonorable discharge).

I am getting sick and tired of even TRYING! I gave up on getting proper prisms for my diplopia, muscle pain, & leg problems wile on active duty. I gave up decades ago getting the VA to figure out WHY I was having health problems. Heck even the VA sent me to their own shrinks who agreed that I was not nuts or depressed just adamant something else was wrong, and still the VA did NOTHING.

It was only after a civ doc opened the MS can of worms that one rare caring VA doc even ordered the testing for the MS and long overdue formal RRMS Dx.

I have to fight so long, so hard to try and get anywhere, I am just getting tired of fighting, and fighting and fighting. I guess the guberment wins!

Gomer, Sir Falls-a-lot

So very sorry Gomer...

It angers me ANY vet is being treated like you!

Will wounded warriors or any sort of charitible military based charity help you out? The Lions club or other local places?

Again, I am very sorry and pretty angry our Gov't isn't taking better care of YOU! fed

Comment

Thanks fed up.........

I don't want charity.........

I would like reasonable, honest care that I feel (in my opinion) I earned and deserve. When I was cursing (JFK) off the east coast before heading to Europe, I was selected for an interview by a mag.

The (my TAD) officer who brought the reporter around asked me about shipping over (110% sure I was a lifer). I shocked him when I responded I had 314 days left and was NOT shipping over. He demanded to know why. I told him my #1 reason was problems with getting health care. I even refused to go up for promotion, fearing it might tempt me to stay.

As I see things the main current problem is I am in Michigan, the lowest of the low(mich ranks dead last of all 50 states and even below ALL US territories) when it comes to taking care of vets and vets getting benefits.

Our own state Gov added yet another layer of state bureaucracy (on top of about a dozen dysfunctional layers) in an effort to improve things.....surely he jests. The attitude of most people I have to deal with is horrible.

The Patient Advocate said to me as I entered her office, "how can I NOT help you", noting she had not helped 3 vets already so far that morning. I am not sure how it is now, but in past decades if you went to the PA and they did/said anything on your behalf, you got black-listed anyway. (but I did have one oncology doc that was helpful).

Gomer Sir falls-a-lot

Comment

It isn't like the Gov't doesn't know this; I believe I saw a 60 minutes program about things being done to resolve those issues.

Good luck to you Gomer and Thank You for your service. fed

Comment

Gomer - I am sorry to hear about your experiences, but I also know you are not alone. Many veterans receive horrendous care from our government, including the VA. Many veterans quit in the process of trying to fight the VA (for YEARS) and I believe that is intended. Unfortunately, it's easier for a civilian to "work" the system for unemployment or disability than it is for a disabled veteran to get the benefits they "earned."

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. The government is fully aware of the problems and still doesn't take real steps to make improvements. Sure, they'll spend millions on another study and they'll find the same problems as the last study and still nothing will be done.

The week before the last government shutdown the VA spent $500k on artwork knowing checks were in danger. Tricare rates are tripling as they want to force veterans into the obamacare system. The Secretary of Defense is calling for pay and benefits cuts and the VA is also trying to make cuts that directly impact us. Bonuses are paid out to hospital administrators that kill veterans through neglect. No one is held accountable!

It angers me every time we send a multi-billion check to other nations to tend to their soldiers when we often ignore our own. Heck, they are even finding weapons and money to send to Al-Qaeda connected terrorists in Syria, but can't help our own. The very reason we have the VFW, PVA, CWV, WWP and all these charities is because the government fails to meet the BASIC needs of our veterans.

Unless the average American lends their voice to veterans issues there will not be changes. Until politicians are rewarded for helping veterans or punished for not helping veterans there will not be changes.

Comment

Marco....well said!

It seems that people, like me, that play by the rules get the raw end of almost everything.

I learned early on medical care in the Navy was poor at best, even in boot camp. Not once but TWICE my Co cmdr (Navy version of drill sgt) sent me to sick bay, one time he had fellow recruits physically carry me to sick bay and the care was worse than poor.

The Navy doc often lied on my records, One time I went for back pain (IMO knowing now what I know, it was probably a good MS HUG). Doc wrote down I had tried to pick up my tool box, totally false and I TOLD him I had not even tried to, that I was just walking across the shop.

Another time I went for a leg/knee problem, oh go stick a heating pad on it...(did not have one anyway).

Twice, one in Pensacola (first duty station) I was sent by my shop boss to sickbay, then eye doc because of vision problems, total waste. (I went to civilian in Mobile AL , via greyhound bus, for new glasses). Nearly got run down going to the USO that evening and had to have fellow sailors help me get from one hanger to another for a few days.

Again when in A-school in Jacksonville Fl was sent to eye doc and again no help, not updated proper prisms for my diplopia. Twice, both time the Navy eye docs were fully aware, one even noted it in my records I had diplopia issues and BOTH times, NO PRISMS to help. (I even kept copies of the Navy eye docs glasses from BOTH times).

By the time I got to my next duty station, Sanford Fl, things got so bad it was hard for me to drive, and had to go to a civilian eye doc in Winter Park and had a drastic change in prisms, now had to have both horizontal and vertical correction. Back at the base a friend (we went thru A-school together and stationed at same squadrons from then on) even teased me about my new, much thicker (coke bottle) glasses. BTW, I got a supporting letter from him about it for my S/C claim. Another waste of time it seems.

A few months back the VA claimed I was to get local P/T (told it was approved) but I would have to wait/take 30 days...never happened, probably never will.

Sorry I need to cut this off, I am rambling and venting.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
            I served my country and my country betrayed me.

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
              I served my country and my country betrayed me.
              I'm so sorry you have so much to deal with... for what it's worth, thanks for your service from your neighbours to the north!

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thanks CatMom...or should it be DogMom?

I am bought a book of stamps so I can send out a crop of letters (again) to PVA, my senator (the one that did a little more than use the info to send me political ads), our state governor etc. Probably will not do much good, if any but at least I will TRY.

I am also going to write a letter (personal) to my VA MS neuro. I will include a time-line of events seeking medical attention that is likely MS related when I was on active duty. PVA claimed, they would get with him for a support letter for my service connection case, which I have no reason to even think they did.

Our state governor is not happy that Michigan ranks dead last of ALL states (& US territories) in relative federal dollars for vets flowing into our state. He attributed it to the nightmare of about a dozen state veterans bureaucracies, so what he did was simply add yet another bureaucracies on top of the aprox dozen already existing dysfunctional bureaucracies, supposedly to help vets navigate the others.

Gomer

Comment

Gomer,

Sorry to hear you're still not getting anywhere with the MI VA. Still not much better here in TN either. One of my major trigger points for my anger is the lies that are put into my records or just told to me.

Just spent a couple of weeks up in ME and had forgotten one of my BP meds. Called the VA in order to get a couple weeks of the med faxed to a local pharm. My PC didn't even look at the message from the nurse until over a week later and then just had her nurse call me to see if I still needed the meds. Her nurse called my phome phone instead of the contact number I had left leaving a message to call him, the day that I got back home. In the records he stated he had tried to call me 3 times, but only one call was indicated on my phone at home. So now 1 month later I have a heart attack. I'm sure going those 2 weeks without my med helped that along.
                  Dennis

The soul of a song will lift your spirits.

Comment

request a mobility/ seating consult and evaluation

Gomer,
                    Any time I needed a mobility aid, I would have my primary care at VA put in for a mobility/seating evaluation. They do it in PT Clinic here and sometimes it takes time to get the actual appointment. Just keep bugging them.
                    Don't quit, cos that is what they want you to do. Took me 2 years to get my claim approved. I called the regional office every 3 months or so to get an update on my claim status. The last 6 months or so I called every week. Document who you talked too, time and date, what they said. It came in handy when afew times someone i spoke to tried to say it was waiting on a desk for further info, but for 2 weeks prior was pending approval.
                    It gets hard, but keep fighting! !!! don't let them win!

Comment

Sailor....sorry to hear about your MI.... hope you are recovering well. Sad to say typical VA from my experience.

littlemacr... been there done that, seen nothing yet..

Don't let them win is easier said than done. I have been FIGHTING the VA over P&C since Aug 1986. I never even got a letter of denial or anything, not even a chance to file an appeal back in 1986. IN 1987 I complained so much they sent me to their shrinks! Even the shrinks said I was not even depressed, just "adamant" something else was wrong. The VA docs did not even listen to their own shrinks, let alone me.

So my battle has been raging for about 30 YEARS! (not counting many fights to get proper medical care in the Navy), maybe you can semi-understand why I am getting so sick of fighting and fighting and fighting! ( & that's just the VA not to mention other crapola)

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Please donīt give up. Maybe contact with your local political reps would have more clout. Maybe getting an interview in the local paper about the lack of response or a letter to the editor. Just keep trying- please.

Comment

My falling started when I was stationed at Sanford FL. I started bowling on a league near the base. I would fall at the end of my delivery and had left leg problems. I went to sick bay in Sept '67 about it, total waste of time.

A few months later I went to sickbay with diplopia and color issues. It had gotten real bad and ended up going to a civilian doc in Winter Park. I got teased a lot about my new coke bottle eyeglasses. He now lives in outside of Lakeland and I got a supporting letter from him for my S/C case.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Working...
                          X