Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl L-carnitine for Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl L-carnitine for Fatigue

In 2008, I was suffering with horrible fatigue. It was to the point that I could barely move. My arms and legs felt like they weighed 200 pounds each. I felt like I had run a 20K marathon - all uphill - in neck deep mud!

A post I read on this site recommended two anti-oxidant supplements, acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. I decided to give them a try, since nothing else was working. (I'd tried Provigil, and it gave me severe chest pain. Amantadine didn't help either.) I started taking the supplements and within the first week noticed a huge difference in my energy levels. Within a month, I was able to do things I hadn't done in several years (like climb a mountain.) I still take them every morning. If I forget, like I did twice in a row last week, I can really tell a difference!

These are natural substances that your body need, unlike the stimulants in prescription meds. They work by increasing the ability of your cells to make and use energy. They do not hype you up or make you jittery, they just restore your energy levels to normal. They're used to treat fatigue in MS, chronic fatigue syndrome, cancer patients, elderly patients, etc.

The recommended dosage is 1,000 to 2,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine and 200 to 400 mg of alpha lipoic acid taken every morning. It can take up to a month to feel the full effects, though many people, like me, get relief within a few days. And for some reason, they don't always work for everyone, but when they do, they are a life saver. (I also take a multi-B vitamin supplement to help boost the effects.)

As with any supplements, you should check with your physician before taking these, especially if you are diabetic or taking medications for thyroid problems, as these supplements can increase the effectiveness of the medications you are on and your dosages may need to be adjusted.

I get my supplements from an online site called Puritan's Pride (they have "Buy 1 get 2 free" sales all the time.) But Walmart also has a combined supplement with both of these in it. You'd just need to check the dosage and takes whatever you need to get to the recommended dosages.

Good luck and I hope they work as well for you as they do for me.

Hugs,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Good post Shashi. same result here coq10 also helps
    First symptom 2000, dxed 2004

Rebif 04-06, Denial 06-07, Rebif 07--9, Copaxone 09-13, Tecfidera 13-?

Comment

A few years ago (2009?), when fatigue started getting the best of me, I took Shashi's advice & haven't turned back since!

Like Shashi I notice immediately if I forget to take these supplements in the morning. They allow me to function at a somewhat "normal" level. I at least have enough energy to get through a work day and for that I am very thankful.

For me: I need the max dosage Shashi recommends. ALC=2000 & ALA=600. I also get mine from Puritans Pride. Thankfylly they have ALC in 1000 horse pills so I don't have to take 4+ to get the dosage I need! ALA comes in 200 or 600 so I go higher - works for me.

I highly recommend trying these supplements if you are struggling with fatigue. Start at the lower doasge, you can always bump it up if needed. As Shasi says though, it can take a month to fully kick in so be patient!
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Sasha...I need to thank you, too, for the suggestion of these supplements. I finally tried it. It took me a while to get up the nerve to try it because my body is very sensitive to any medication, or even supplement. So, I began with 1/4 dose of both...one was a 50 mg (before taking the 1/4 dose), and the other was 500 mg. And, believe it or not, I felt some noticeable energy, the first day! So, I tried it again today, and I definitely noticed a difference. Interestingly, it even decreased my light sensitivity (some folks in town don't even recognize me if I don't have my sunglasses on!). I still crashed later in the day, but I got quite a bit done beforehand.

So, thanks all. I will see if I can increase the doseage a bit more, but I am happy with even this increase in my energy...anything is better than laying on the bed, like a log! Love and Light, all. Jan.

Comment

Working...
        X