Can't take oral Baclofen - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't take oral Baclofen - Help!

My spasms have been extremely bad so my neuro put me on oral Baclofen. Drowsiness is never an issue for me. Other than my normal MS fatigue medications that say they will cause drowsiness never do. In fact, some actually give me energy . However, I did have a rare side effect of mood changes. I'm usually a very cherry, upbeat person. Since taking the Baclofen - honestly, if the someone came and asked me to kill a person who had molested their child, I would have done it with a smile on my face. When I realized I was in that state of mind I called the neuro immediately, she explained the chemical reaction I was having to it and told be to taper off over the next few days.

Now I'm worried. It's the only thing that's been strong enough to even touch my spasms. Has anyone else experienced this horrible side effect and know of an alternative med?

Originally posted by odd duck View Post

Now I'm worried. It's the only thing that's been strong enough to even touch my spasms. Has anyone else experienced this horrible side effect and know of an alternative med?
    I found Baclofen left me depressed.
    I switched to MMJ. For me it works better and does not leave me tired or depressed. I think it is legal in your state.
    If you try it start small. For me it takes very little to get the desired effect.
    MMJ is not a cure-all and it does not work for everybody but it is the best treatment I have found. I have been using it daily for more than a decade. No problems yet.

Cheap quick and easy, but I hate the smoke and the smell.
    It is a long way from perfect but it does provide me relief without depression.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Comment

You can try Zanaflex. I take it in addition to my Baclofen and it works well. It makes me a bit sleepy, so perhaps it would give you some energy. I hope you find something that works. Let us know what it is, OK?

Take care
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Been on Zanaflex and it's like taking an M&M... Sometimes I think I'm beyond help . At least my horrid mood is lifting. Like I said, I'll take the physical pain any day but this murderous rage is so not a part of who I am.

Comment

There is a medication called Dantrolene you could ask to try: http://www.drugs.com/pro/dantrolene.html

Your liver needs to be watched while you are on it, and it could possibly have some psychiatric side effects. The dosage is started out small, then gradually increased, so might take awhile to notice any benefits/ side effects.

There's also Valium or Botox injections. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ity/index.aspx

The only other thing I can think of is a baclofen pump, because with this the medication will have an entirely different mechanism of delivery (a liquid form is delivered directly into the spinal cord, and a only fraction of the medication is needed). So, it's very possible this wouldn't give you the same side effects as oral baclofen. But, IDK or if you'd even be a candidate for one with your degree of spasticity. A trial dose of the medication is given before you commit to it, so you'd know if it benefitted you or not. Just something that might also be worth inquiring about. http://www.medtronic.com/patients/se...rapy/index.htm

Spasticity is not any fun to deal with. I really do hope you find something that will work for you! Please keep us posted.

Best wishes ,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

WoW, excellent thread old duck...just had this conversation this morning with my doc. The scarey thing is what he said, "Let's try balcofen, I can't take it, but it might work."

Then he said he had a few patients end up in ER with it, but worth a try. I am not crazy about it...but, I will 'try' something and go back to mmj. I so fear being in an institution and not be able to use mmj and be on NO meds.

@22Cyclist... Zanaflex might be a better option, i think I'll call and ask him. my preference is to take only one, if possible.

Thank You all for your comments...you guys are GOLDEN GEMS! fed

Comment

Ooops! I went to pick up my Rx and my door precribed Flexoril, instead. I'll try that one, thanks to all of you!fed

Comment

Spasticity - Baclofen & Zanaflex

Hi - I used to take Baclofen for spasticity and noticed that my legs felt like they weighed a ton each and were more stiff than when I began.

I'm currently in an episode and was prescribed Zanaflex. This works, however I can't take it during the day as it lowers my blood pressure. This was caught by a PT on my 1st visit in the AM when they did my vitals. My neuro advised to try Baclofen during the day and Zanaflex at night. A new PT noticed that my legs were severely stiff in the AM and asked me what I look. It was Baclofen. Happy to confirm that the stiffness was not my imagination!!

Listen to your body. It's telling you a lot and you know it best. I agreed to try to the Baclofen for 2 weeks and only made it one week. I see the neuro on Weds. I don't know what's next but I'm trying to stay positive.

Be well!

Comment

i had a mood reaction to baclofen so i don't take it. haven't found another substitute yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X