Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you buy books or get them form the library?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you buy books or get them form the library?

I refuse to buy books for my kindle, I get them from the library, just as I would a paper book.
    I do not in general buy paper books either (except stephen king) and deal with the library.
    The exception to that is the used book sales at the library or desperation when travelling and I have nothing else.

I saw something on a rental service, like netflix, but for e-books, not sure I could justify that either.

So how are your reading habits, buyer or loaner?
    1995-symptoms with no cause
    2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
    2000/1-started Avonex
    2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
    Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

I both buy and borrow from the library.

Comment

Mostly, I "buy" free books (or discounted) from a few websites. Such as Book Bub, Pixil of Ink, Inspired Reads, etc. They often offer free or inexpensive books for only a day. I subscribe to their website and get daily emails.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

It's a rare day if I buy a book. I buy them as gifts for other people sometimes. An old friend of mine sometimes has a book published that won't be available as a Talking Book, and I do buy her books.

Almost all my reading is done by Talking Books through the National Library Service.

Books cost big bucks these days, and they take up valuable space. I'm really out of the habit of buying them--and am very much in the habit of giving them away.

I still own about 200 books, most of them in tatters because they've been in my life for many years. I can't bear to get rid of them though they're mostly gathering dust.
        MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

I buy as am a book addict! That said I just can't handle going to the library and trying to get through aisles to look at or check out books. Its a long drive and then parking is a nightmare so I would use in gas what I pay for books through my book club.

Comment

I don't buy a lot of books, but I do love going to Half Price Books to browse. I can shop the clearance rack and get books for $1-3 and that's well worth the price. I also like to buy stuff from Amazon. Their prices are normally pretty good, especially for some older stuff that I've just discovered (I watch a lot of Lifetime movies and then want to read the books they're based on).

I don't even know where a library is around my home. The last time I went to one was when I was still in college, although when I lived in a small town before college, I did borrow books from that library.
            Diagnosed 1/4/13
            Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

My rule of thumb is a) do I need it for work or b)will I read it repeatedly? Otherwise, I don't buy it.

Comment

I have an ereader (Nook). There are tons!!! of free books available.
                Karen

Comment

I usually use our underfunded library system, although I recently joined the 21st century and got myself a Kindle. I it! There are lots of free books, and plenty of cheaper ones. I recently started reading a series that are $4.99 each, and I would not have discovered them if not for the Kindle. And best of all, I can carry the entire Harry Potter series in my purse to read any time.
                  ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

Library and BookBub for my fiction

I use both my local library to download audio books on my laptop. I love to listen to books while I do chores, serf the web, or even fall asleep. It helps with pain too. That is how I got started, trying to relax my body and just listen and focus just on the story. Since I am alone most of the time it is not a problem if I need to replay a book or parts of it since my attention was too focused on something else, like writing this post! lol
                    Also, I do cheat a bit too. My brother lives in a larger city and does not use his library card, let alone the download feature. Since there is no late return fees, there is no risk to him that I will cost him $. Different libraries have different books and some allow more check outs and holds than others. I listen to books all day long. I currently have 15 downloaded and have listened to parts of most of them. I am replaying them before I return and look for more!!
                    The BookBub offers about 2-3 free books a day. I have many many books on my Kindle and have not paid a dime for any of them. This is for when I want to read and it is easier than holding heavy books.
                    I buy used hard copies of books for recipes and reference books on herbal treatments, edible plants, gardening or other survival topics that interest me. When I want to go play in the yard, I don't want to get lost in the internet for a few hours just to look up a question or ratio.
                    happy reading & listening!!

Comment

babygrrl, your story could be mine in a way. When I first starting using Talking Books I wasn't feeling well much of the time and needed to lie down and rest often during the day, sometimes for most of the day.

I would have my audio book player by my bedside and turn on a book and lie there listening to it.It distracted me from the problems I was having--pain and all-over tingling.

If I fell asleep, no problem--I just rewound the tape.

Comment

I buy. Half price books

Comment

I'm not big into reading, but Retha could read continually

To purchase or borrow? I have borrowed more than bought. And, our local library even has audio books. My problem with these audio books is they are most all romance type novels. Wish audio books had more factual or historical readings.
                          Novels have their place, for sure. But, I figure most men would like to increase their knowledge more than just listen to a novel.
                          But, as they said at the library, most people have been more interested in the novels, or romance novels, on tape.
                          Guess I'll need to stick with the reference section, or checking out a book, take it home and read.
                          Then again, when I go to the mall, I stop in Walden Books and check out the discount table.
                          Have done the same at Hastings.
                          Also have picked up and read several books at 2nd hand and 'Thrift Stores'. Many older books seem more interesting to me.
                          And, sometimes when Retha has appointments at VA hospital clinic, I might pick up a donated book.

Comment

GTEJrRetha,

It sounds as if you're a partner for someone named Retha--?

I don't know your situation but if you or Retha has MS, the person with MS can often be eligible for the National Library Service Talking Books program. It's not just for blind people or even for legally blind people. It's also for people who have difficulty reading printed material because they can't turn pages or hold the book up.

Their catalog of available books is huge. They've recently converted from books on tape to digital cartridges, and many materials are available for download if you have a flash drive or blank cartridge.

They have many romance novels but also many, many other types of books: suspense, mystery, historical fiction, biography, adventure, history, classics.

Comment

I both buy and borrow mostly lately has been borrow. I am lucky in that my local library system has kindle books you can borrow and you can download them from home. Unfortunately they only get a couple licenses of books but they have a great wait list program that will email you when it is available. All without having to drive to the library.
                              Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Working...
                              X