What could have happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What could have happened?

A few nights ago, I was sleeping, and my alarm clock went off to wake me up. I stood up, but then my right leg caved like it wasn't even there. I didn't feel any pain or numbness/pins&needles, and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. I crawled over to my desk and shut off the alarm and went back to sleep. Over the course of the day, it became obvious i'd pulled my calf muscle in the process and my knee was a little "clicky", but no MS-like symptoms popped up and im fairly sure I'm not having an exacerbation- though I've been sicker than a dog for 3 weeks with one cold/cough/thing after another- still doing remarkably well in the leg/eye area despite this.. So, I'm wondering what could have happened- if that's a normal thing that other people have happen or if it is related to my MS or what?

Hi Jess,

A leg giving out without any warning (pain, abnormal sensations, ect) can, unfortunately, be normal.

The first time I had a leg give out without warning was when I was 18 years old. I had been shopping, stepped of the curb and my leg just went out from under me, absolutely no reason for it.

Sit on the edge of the bed after waking up and while having the bed for support stand without moving for a few seconds. I never get up from laying or sitting without standing for a few seconds to make sure my leg will support me.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Jess,

Sorry this happened and glad you weren't seriously hurt! It is something that can happen due to MS.

The first time this happened to me (before I was diagnosed), was when I started to go down our basement stairs. No warning, no abnormal sensations. I was really lucky I didn't break anything when I ended up at the bottom of the stairs. Of course, I had no idea what just happened. One leg just decided it wasn't going to support me!

A few years later (after I'd been dx'd), my leg gave out again while using the stairs at my parents house. I only fell a couple of steps (on plush carpeting), but also took down their handrail!

Unfortunately, falls due to sudden weakness and balance problems happen too often for those of us with MS. It's a good idea to see a PT if this happens again. You can never be too strong when you have MS. They can also teach you how to fall so you will, hopefully, avoid a serious injury (that is, if you have enough time to react).

Take care,
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

hi Jess, a similar thing happened to me a few times, also at night. It was with my arm - I woke up in the middle of the night and realised I couldn't move it. I didn't care much when it happened for the first time, I thought that it might have been a bad dream but when it happened next time I concluded that it must be MS. however, as long as everything is fine in the morning I don't worry about it
        But I won't cry for yesterday, there's an ordinary world,
        Somehow I have to find.
        And as I try to make my way to the ordinary world,
        I will learn to survive.

Comment

Working...
        X