Standard needle vs. Injection pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard needle vs. Injection pen

I've been on Avonex since 1997. I've used the standard needle this entire time and my husband injects for me. I tried to switch to Tecfidera earlier this year but I couldn't tolerate the side effects so I'm now back on Avonex. Since it looks like I'll be on Avonex for the foreseeable future I'm now considering switching to the pen. Are there differences between the standard needle and the pen in terms of pain or side effects? Would really appreciate input from people who have used both. Thanks very much in advance!

Hello! Sorry I haven't used the pen, but I have injected Avonex for ten years and can tell you that when I asked for an added prescription of 25 gauge 1" needles, injecting became much more easy.

A switch to a thinner, shorter needle may be all you need to have a more comfortable injection.

I was a previous needle weenie, and had someone else do my injections for the first several months. When I was forced to do my own, I realized that being in control of the injection made a big difference.

First tip, make sure you let the alcohol dry, and this takes longer than you think. I swab, then rewash hands, prepare injection, sit down and relax a minute. I shake the thigh area to be sure the muscle is relaxed. I want everything very jiggley wiggley before I go for it because I know that equals a more comfortable injection.

I inject very slowly, I hate discomfort. I have also found that working out afterward is a big plus. I go and do weight machines or get my on exercise bike after and I no longer have any soreness down the road from the muscle injected. Only took me ten years to figure this one out......

Best of luck, I'm sure the pen will also give you a better injecting experience if you need to do that. Just thought maybe a different needle may be enough.

Comment

The only time I ever used regular needles was when I was titrating and had no choice. I can definitely say that it got much easier for me when I started using the pen. I think it hurts less than the standard needle. I don't find that it burns anywhere near as bad as when I did the injection myself either.

I'm a needle phobe and the pen makes that much easier since you only need to push a button and you don't see it going through your skin. I was a little anxious my first time using the pen, but it's been smooth sailing ever since then.
      Diagnosed 1/4/13
      Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

I came on tonight planning to ask this exact question. I have been on Avonex for two months; the first month was with the needle since it starts with titration. My doctor had ordered a very small needle, which was helpful and the shots weren't bad. I've done four injections now using the pen, and I'm trying to decide if it's easier than the needle. For some reason I seem to have difficulty pulling it straight out, probably because it has to be put in the side of the leg instead of the top. Anyone prefer the needle over the pen?

Comment

I recently finished titration with the smaller gauge needle (which is still large) and I thought the switch to the pen was awesome.

Its so easy to use, I don't have the anxiety I had before when watching that needle come towards my leg because you don't see the needle and I barely feel it.

My hubby does it for me, I still do it on the top of my thigh, the whole thing is over in mere seconds. He says its real easy to use, simple click and he counts to 10 then pulls it out and puts a band aid on, done.

During titration I had to work up the nerve all day, I would get nauseous when it was time, it felt like I was stabbed each time and it burned. I hated it and I have the utmost respect for the people who have been using the needle and syringe for years because there is no way I would have stuck with it if I couldn't have switched to the pen.

I don't know why anyone would want to stay with the syringe when the pen is so easy and practically painfree.

I have the same site reactions, lumps and bruising, with either the pen or the syringe but the actual injection is so much better.

Good luck
          Diagnosed MS 11/2012
          2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
          1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
          .....just keep swimming...........

Comment

I've had trouble pushing the button on the pen, for me its very difficult to push. Most times, my fiance does it for me which makes it a lot less stressful. If he isn't around to do it I find that I get myself all worked up about it and get frustrated when I can't push the stupid button.

I've figured out a few tricks along the way, I use one hand on the top of the pen to push the button, and the other I hold down near my leg and lift up on it slightly to take the safety off, that way I'm not pushing it so hard into my leg. I think it helps stabilize the pen so it doesn't go crooked once I do get the button pushed.

Mostly I'd say I like the pen more because I can do it myself when I need to, I never gave myself any of the titration doses. The pen did take a little getting used to and I did have some painful injections, but that happens with syringes sometimes anyway

Comment

Been using the pen since March 2012 and still can't decide which I prefer more.

Sometimes, when I'm using the pen the SNAP sound scares me - the anticipation of that brings me more anxiety than the needle did. However, the needle also brings me anxiety - the first step of getting it into the muscle makes me hesitate.

Can't win, really. I recently read that the one-injection-a-month-Avonex (PEGylated inteferon beta-1a) is in Phase 3 of trials. Here's to hoping that will become an option in the future.
              Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
              UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Haven't injected in years

But when I was injecting I used a pen. I started with a needle which was okay when I got used to it. But the pen made it so much easier. I could inject it in other spots and I didn't feel a thing. Good luck

Comment

Thanks all...

Still debating which way to go. But you've all given me good things to think about. Many thanks.

Karen

Comment

I need to start Avonex pen in this week, and is obviously curious as to the injection pain element. Any advise or help on this topic?

Comment

Csteyn, probably the most helpful advice I received regarding the pen is a suggestion I read on this board - be sure your thigh muscle is relaxed when you inject. Sounds simple, but it seems to make a big difference. I'm always pleasantly surprised after an injection that it didn't hurt much. Good luck!

Comment

The pen leaves more of a mark where the needle goes in than when I was self-injecting. I think I prefer the regular needle but my husband won't give me those.

Comment

Regarding relaxing the thigh muscle, I found that sitting on the couch and propping my leg up on the coffee table (or ottoman) allowed my thigh muscle to fully relax. That made a huge difference to me when I was injecting Avonex (with 25 gauge needles). (I'm on Tysabri now.)

I always did the injection fast, like throwing a dart (without letting go, of course), never really felt pain, and when I took the needle out I often could not tell where it had gone in.

Takes a bit of nerve, but foolproof, in my experience.

Comment

The pen is fantastic! If you're worried about any injection pain, just ice the area before injecting. I use the little freezer packs they ship with. I keep them in the freezer and then wash before use with soap and water. You could use an alcohol swab as well. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                            X