Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA and SSA

All,

Background, I am an service connected 80% disabled veteran (according to the VA). I continue to work full time overseas working for the U.S. army. I have recently been told that I am now Secondary Progressive MS.

Question 1. If I progress to 100% through the VA and put in for a Medical Retirement through the Federal System, am I able to collect SSA, Retirement and the VA pension all at the same time.

Question 2. Can I do any work at all, how much can I earn if I receive any SSA?

Thanks for any answers

Greg
    Gregory S. Wilcox
    Regular Guy with MS

I have no clue, but...

You may get more responses by also posting your VA and SSA/SSDI questions on the VA message board in a seperate thread.

If I remember correctly, if eligible/approved for both VA and SSDI benefits, the SSDI benefit offset does not apply to VA benefits.

Wishing you the best of luck with your SPMS dx and getting approved for benefits.

Rich should be along soon to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by MSW1963 View Post
      You may get more responses by also posting your VA and SSA/SSDI questions on the VA message board in a seperate thread.
      Good suggestion, MSW1963.

Greg, I just made another copy of this thread and moved it to the Military Veterans with MS forum. So, you're covered both ways
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi, everyone. Generally, VA benefits do not lessen Social Security Disability Insurance benefits (SSDI), but SSDI benefits can lessen VA disability benefits unless the VA disability benefits are service connected. Also, one usually receives SSDI or Social Security retirement benefits, but not both. Check with the VA and SSA regarding your particular situation, Wilcoxg.

Here is some information on SSA's website for Wounded Warriors - http://www.ssa.gov/woundedwarriors/#a0=3.

All the best, Wilcoxg, and thank you for your service.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Follow on question

I am currently working for the U.S. army as a federal employee, I am Under the FRS retirement system, do you know if I take a medical retirement, will that lessen my VA disability payments?

Thanks

greg
          Gregory S. Wilcox
          Regular Guy with MS

Comment

Working...
          X