STILL NOTHING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STILL NOTHING

Well, it's been about one month since my hearing and I have not heard anything.

This is so frustrating. This is making me crazy and depressed.

I called my lawyer 2 times last week and they didn't even bother to call back.

Is there a point were you can deny the 25% FEE. I just don't think my lawyer is worth it. I call to talk to him, as he said I could anytime I had a question, they transfer me to the parralegal. I leave her a message and she doesn't bother to call back. I hired HIM 1 1/2 years ago and have spoken to him 3 times including hearing day. So many other things I am not happy with.

ANYWAY HOW MUCH LONGER DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR A DECISION?
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

I don't want this to be a lawyer bashing thread, but my experience was similar, cc'd on 3 letters my attorney sent to remind SS of the 25% fee to withhold from my award, returning my calls, not so much. The legal service I received directly was during the initial consult to sign over the 25% and review my SSDI application. There may be behind the scenes things, but it seems I would have known about it if there had been.

On the other hand, it's a 25% fee regardless of how much work is involved for each individual case.

I was approved for SSDI in record time, as frustrating as I found the experience I don't know how I would have managed if my case had been more complicated and taken longer to be approved.

I was pretty despondent during the wait for approval, so I understand how you must be feeling after such a long time with so much/everything hanging in the balance. Think good thoughts and hang in there. I hope your appeal is approved soon.

Comment

Hello, mercadies25 and MSW1963. One of the biggest complaints against lawyers, perhaps the biggest complaint, is a failure to communicate, e.g., return phone calls. Lawyers and their staff get very busy, as you can imagine, but still those calls have to be returned. When clients don't get call backs, it can be upsetting as your post shows.

When one retains a lawyer, however, it does not necessarily mean that one will be communicating with the lawyer personally throughout the case, although the lawyer retains responsibility for the case. Lawyers use staff such as paralegals to help them.

Regarding your question, mercadies25, it can depend upon a number of factors, including, but not limited to, whether or not a bench decision has been issued (which is an abbreviated favorable decision), how big of a backlog there is at the hearing office and for the particular ALJ or just how long it takes an individual ALJ to get a decision out in general.

I like non bench decisions come out within a few weeks of course, but certainly within a month or two. Of course, that doesn't always happen.

Best of luck in reaching your lawyer's office and in your claim, too.

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
      X