Is this spasticity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this spasticity?

Just about my whole body is stiff. Back, legs, arms and torso. This has been going on for a long time. When I get up from a sitting position I have to stand for a minute to get to where I can move. I feel like somebody who has overdone it in a gym or something. This is constant and it is getting worse.

I describe mine exactly the same way. My legs feel like the next day after a killer workout. Mine does get worse. I take baclofen 3 times a day and need to up the rx but it does help; I can tell when I don't take it on schedule.

Here's to the old MS duck walk!

J
    Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

My spacticity

I started similar to what you describe, but much much worse now. I get shoulders yanked out of socket, and leg contracture like spacticity that is excrutiating last days at a time, and wont even let go no matter how much I try to stretch out.

keep on keeping on
      T

Comment

The spasticity in my legs is exactly as you describe, however I am lucky that I experience spasticity only in my legs. When I stand after sitting for a while, my leg muscles stiffen and spasm for about 15-30 seconds, making it impossible to walk until the spasm stops.

Then, I look like Frankenstein walking for my first 10-12 steps before my "normal" gait returns. The more frequently I am able to move, the less of a problem I have with spasticity.

Comment

I also don't know if what I'm feeling is spasticity. My leg feels like it is cramping. It's not stiff, I still have full range of motion, but it is really painful. It happens no matter if I'm standing or sitting. Before, it was only if I was on my feet for a long time, but today I was on my feet maybe a half hour and I started to get the cramping sensation in my leg (mostly my thigh). Is this spasticity?

Comment

Stiff All Over and unhappy with it. My doc has been trying several different meds and it gets pretty old. Another appointment Friday to re-adjust things.

Duck or Frankenstein Walk, that sums it up, exactly how I have been for a few weeks now. Just grateful I have a rollator.

thanks @Tanya... My shoulders do the same thing, glad you mentioned it! sometimes I feel like I'll try to roll over in bed and my shoulders remain stuck and won't go with me. I hate the noise it makes. I think they'll pull from the socket, occasionally my fake knees to the same thing. Not as much or often as the shoulders, but it is painful and excruciatingly frightening.

Some Tamazapam seemed to help, but yesterday I was the weakest I've ever been and it frightened me, severely. It released the spasms, it seemed, but stopped short of diminishing the pain from it.

today my neck and upper body is much more noticeable with it too.

I expect I made it all worse this week, refusing any medication for an Endoscopy and with the gagging and all, my muscles were sad the next day, all over.

I want to get stabilized on prescription medications before entirely relying on mmj; as there is a strain of mmj that releases it. I just don't like the pain and feelings of it getting worse and then letting up; that is worse pain than having it all the time.

One thing is for sure, there is going to have to be 24/7 medications for it to be tolerable--I just hate taking pills and medicine! jpt

Comment

I've got a similar question: can the tightness of my neck muscles be called spasticity? Like Pomegranate, I can move it, but it really hurts at times, especially when I lay aside.
              But I won't cry for yesterday, there's an ordinary world,
              Somehow I have to find.
              And as I try to make my way to the ordinary world,
              I will learn to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by deb46 View Post
                Just about my whole body is stiff. Back, legs, arms and torso. This has been going on for a long time. When I get up from a sitting position I have to stand for a minute to get to where I can move. I feel like somebody who has overdone it in a gym or something. This is constant and it is getting worse.
                I can move, but my balance is bad. I get up and wait till things seem 'right'.
                You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

hi

Stiffness aka "spasticity". It's a sign of MS. Have you tried consulting a neuro or any good MD regarding this? It'd be best to get it diagnosed before wondering what it is. You'd then be able to get a hold of it after you're aware of it. There are some specific physical therapies available for such problems which really help people ease these kinds of stiffness-es.

A doctor would be able to guide you best. Also, there are many different drugs used in the treatment of spasticity. All drugs have side effects, and your doctor will talk through the pros and cons of using these drugs. They will assess your spasms or stiffness, taking into account the nature of your symptoms, possible trigger factors that make them worse and – very importantly – the impact they have on your daily life.

Get a quick analysis of your condition first since the spasm can progress in its severity. Apart from that, we can take PT into consideration. Exercise is an amazing medication for overcoming MS. I myself have seen several cases doing proper exercise as prescribed by their MS professionals which in turn has aided them in overcoming all symptoms being caused by MS. Hope it helps.
                  Your Well-wisher
                  Andrea.G.Wolford

Comment

I am having a terrible time with my spacticity! Went to the neuro last week and he told me I must be in yoga 3 times a week.

Not sure how I am going to work it out yet but I can do it at least 2 times a week which I feel is better than nothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X