Can you inject using pen in different areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you inject using pen in different areas

The avonex pen tells you to only inject into leg. Can you inject other places?

I asked that same question. The Avonex nurse explained to me that if you self-inject, you must do so in the leg. The arm is a suitable location, but only if another person is injecting, because the length of the pen makes it difficult to inject correctly if doing it alone.

Comment

I believe its because the FDA has only approved the upper outer thigh with the Avonex Pen so they can't tell you its okay to inject in another location. I'm sure the FDA will approve additional locations at some point.

Although I think it would be fine in any of the same locations you are given for the syringe, it just needs to go into a muscle. That's just my opinion and I'm not making that recommendation
      Diagnosed MS 11/2012
      2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
      1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
      .....just keep swimming...........

Comment

That's correct. The way I understand, it was only tested in the thigh, which we can be grateful for, since it took so very, very long.

I've been injecting in the arm since it came out in March 2011?, anyway, for years. I'm also able to self-inject in the arm, though it would be easier for another person to do it.

You just need to make sure the pen is firmly on the muscle and that it indeed goes into muscle, not fat. You can start lifting weights to make a bigger muscle too!

Comment

Working...
        X