comp award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

comp award

Three years ago I had a bad work accident. It involved knee and back surgery. I was forced to retire this year 2013 and subsequently filed for ssdi, which was approved. It was an injury covered under federal comp. I received comp money for the first surgery. About 6 months ending early in 2011. Comp denied the second surgery for over 2 years. They finally accepted my condition after I retired due to my injuries. I have a final award in the works. What are my options if I receive an award from comp? I have not received any money from comp since 2011. Do I have to give social security my award money or not. Do I even have to tell them about an award?

This is probably better explained by Rich, but in the meantime the SSDI link below contains info about when Offsets apply to Workers Comp and SSDI benefits:

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/...book-0504.html

A very quick read seems to say that when WC and SSDI benefit amounts combined exceed 80% of pre-disability income, an offset=reduction applies. There's info about calculations to determine the offset amount.

Best of luck.

Comment

Hello, harley13 and MSW1963. Yes, there can be a workers' compensation offset of social security disability benefits so talk to a workers' compensation attorney concerning your specific claim. Keep in mind that there may be a way to lessen or eliminate any possible offset based upon how the WC settlement agreement is structured.

Best of luck to you, harley13

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
      X