Skin that can't be touched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skin that can't be touched

Has anyone had issues with skin that can't be lightly touched?

My nerves react to light touch. If my (dh) touches me lightly, I will cringe and shy away. If he touches me hard or firmly with his hand then I am ok.

My skin is so sensitive that cold air hurts. But it goes away after a day or two and then I am fine. I know I am weird

Please say that someone else has this sx! That I am not crazy or alone in this.

It has started the past two weeks and it drives me nuts.
    I don't see the neuro for another month and I hate to call him if it's just something else to learn to live with.

And yes ,the dr said he doesn't think I have fibromyalgia.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    STR

You are not crazy or alone!

I have a large lesion in my spine at C2, and most of my skin gets hypersensititive at one time or another. It moves around, but my hands and feet are the usual suspects.

This time of year it's the cold that kills me. When my feet get just slightly cold it feels like I've almost got frostbite (the hot/cold feeling of thawing out).

If it turns out to be a permanent change, I guarantee it will eventually become your 'new normal' and less disturbing, but I hope it's just temporary...
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

YOU ARE NOT ALONE nor crazy!

before my dx in 2002, i couldn't figure out why i HATED backrubs. my reaction is to jump away or smack the hand rubbing me.
      people mean well, but it's an awful feeling, worse than being tickled (if i was still ticklish)

not sure what the reason is. mine is all the time. but my main sx is all skin is numb so that might be why i react. be sure & ask neuro. they always need to know of new sxs.

for some reason only my DH can rub my back. his large, firm hands plus knowing how i react may be why.

caused a scene in a mall one time.
      you know how they have kiosks of different items.
      one industrious salesperson was demonstrating his vibrating backrubs on people WITHOUT ASKING.

he didn't do it just once, but TWICE to me. i'm not violent, but i almost slugged him. i'd already told him to leave me alone!!! my children were dying laughing at their mild manner mom yelling at this stranger! !

hang in there! be sure & let your friends know that though a nice gesture, a hug (or whatever) would be preferable.

take care & God bless ya!
      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I have this and wearing shirts is unbearable most days. My neurologist said it's called Allodynia. I'm can't walk a single step and am confined to a wheelchair but I still consider this to be my worst symptom. I can forget the wheelchair for much of the day but this symptom is a dull roar that I can't shake.

Comment

I get patches of skin usually on the inside of my elbow where a long shirt sleeve might rub it feels like a sunburn or prickly skin rash . But it's the same as you say the slightest brush and it hurts but if you press, nothing.

Comment

You are not crazy or alone or even weird.

It's called allodynia.

Comment

I have allodynia as well and it is mostly well-controlled on the gabapentin dose I take. Though at times its bad enough to break through the dose I'm on. Its mostly on my upper back, but can happen anywhere. The one that has my doctor puzzled is at times I cannot bear the sun hitting my thighs. It burns like someone is holding an iron to my legs.

Comment

I have it too. It hurts when someone touches me ... a well meaning shoulder rub or a touch on my back sends me off the cliff of sanity with the pain their simple touch creates.

never knew the name ... allodynia ... never even thought to say something to neuro about it ...
                Karen

Comment

me too

I had that awful problem during a flare last year. I felt as though someone had torn my skin off and there were just bare nerves. I couldn't stand anything including clothing touching me. It was on my left torso area.

I found some relief with Tigerbalm. That seemed to help me. I made sure to put it on right before bed because I couldn't sleep from the pain of the sheets touching me.

Comment

I get that on my arms sometimes. Comes and goes and feels like a severe sunburn.

Comment

Yep, had this sensation located at the left upper back. Dr first thought I was getting shingles, but low and behold no skin eruptions occurred. Sorry to hear you are experiencing this sx. May it pass quickly for you.

Comment

Hi Strhuntrss,

I have had extreme pain to anything touching me. Clothes, socks/shoes, bedding (sheets/blankets), a gentle hug, a light touch, all bring me to tears.

It feels as if my nerves are on the outside of my body, completely exposed. This quite extreme and something I have not dealt with except with exacerbations.
                        Diagnosed 1984
                        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

allodynia

Thanks everyone for your replies. And I am so sorry you all have to deal with this too!

Once again, I learned something new today and I can add it to my everyday vocabulary, lol. They might think I'm smart, yeah right, lol.

It's the most annoying sx so far. But as Mark said, if it becomes my new normal, then I can deal with it. But it would be nice if our medical profession can find a way to eliminate MS, that we all could feel the old normal, like everyone else.

God Bless you all
                          STR

Comment

I get something similar on my arms, it feels like the skin has been rubbed off. I keep looking at my arms and I don't see any difference in the skin...but I sure feel it.

Comment

I have something similar, mostly its if someone rubs their hands along my arms/legs/back, or if I rub my hands along my arms if they're cold. Its like it activates all the nerves and its a weird/annoying/not really but kinda painful feeling...mostly uncomfortable.

It changes almost daily for me, sometimes I can tolerate being touched like that, and I soak it up on those days

Comment

Working...
                              X