Rebif and Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebif and Alcohol

I am going to be starting rebidose on Tuesday and see where we are not supposed to have alcohol...I enjoy my beer on social nights....does anyone have any feedback on this?

rebif and alcohol

I had the same question and I asked my Dr. As long as you dont go overboard...besides you get monitored every month for elevated liver enzymes. I have a glass of wine with dinner and havent had issues. Everything in MODERATION

Comment

Thanks for the help and info

Comment

I was on Rebif while in my mid 20's and can say I did not drink in moderation back then. No ill effect for a poor lifestyle besides hangovers. And I agree moderation is a great thing.. I can appreciate that now
        First symptom 2000, dxed 2004

Rebif 04-06, Denial 06-07, Rebif 07--9, Copaxone 09-13, Tecfidera 13-?

Comment

Ah! A fellow beer "connoisseur!"
          My doctor has warned me to not take any alcohol when taking Rebif.
          I asked for the reason, and he informed me that most doctors assume that ALL patients have no moderation. So it is their way and the company's way of "making sure" you don't damage your liver.

So, if you know your limit of moderation, it seems fine to drink a beer a two with a good burger.

Comment

Oh yes; I do have to have a few beers here and there when I am out with my friends lol

Comment

I've had similar questions too. That seems plausible that they have to assume given alcoholism rates that everyone has no restraint when writing warnings.

Rebif is hostile to the liver it seems so it seems reasonable to advise folks to avoid alcohol. What gets me is how lifelines cheerleads for Tylenol as a coping mechanism for Rebif induced headaches when it has a long history of liver hostility as well.

Another reason I've been told to avoid alcohol with MS or any other AI disease for that matter though is its glutathione depleting effect. NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen have this same effect.

At any rate I'm keeping up diligence in asking for hepatic function panels from the doc while on this medicine.

Comment

Working...
              X