Oliguria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oliguria

I have a problem which I am sure is caused by MS. I produce very little urine. I fit in the Oliguria area. Is this a problem others have and if you do how do you handle it.

Lois

Hi Lois,

Bladder dysfunction is very common in MS. You can have urgency, retention, or a combination of both. The term used for this is "neurogenic bladder." What you are describing sounds like retention (aka ischuria). Here's a link for you: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ion/index.aspx

I urge you to seek out a urologist soon for treatment! You will have a few tests done to confirm if indeed you have a neurogenic bladder and then be given treatment options. Retaining urine can cause kidney damage, bladder damage, UTIs, and urosepsis.

I suggest you go to the ER to have your bladder drained if you are unable to empty your bladder for more than 8 hours during the day. If overnight, don't let it go much longer. Retention for extended hours is considered a medical emergency. I would let mine go up to 12 before finally I went to the ER, which was a bad idea.

I have permanent bladder damage from retention. The over stretching of my bladder has made it very weak. I also contracted urosepsis twice from UTIs (thought I was emptying completely, when in fact I wasn't), when the bacteria from UTIs entered my bloodstream.

I hope you'll learn from my experiences. Bladder dysfunction is nothing any of us should take lightly.

Best wishes,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi again, Lois

I looked at your prior posts. You've been dealing with MS a long time!

So, I'm assuming you already know how to self-cath? If you aren't having any urine output, please get to your PCP ASAP. This is not a symptom from MS.

Please let us know what you find out!

Best wishes,
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Oliguria

Thank you Kimba22 for your concern. I know I have to the urologist soon. I am getting to uncomfortable to continue this way. I have had uninary incontinance for over 40 years. Two years ago I was feeling bloated and very uncomfortable. I went to the emergency room and they drained 3 quarts of fluid and taught me self catherization. Since then I have had to do self catherization several times a day.

I go through periods that for two or three days I produce very little urine then it lets loose for a couple days. Now I'm going through a period where it does not let loose.

When I go for 12 hours not needing to go I self cath and get very little urine. I know I have to see the urologist. I do feel quiet bloated. I've always been one to do things a little differently.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Lois.

I really hope you get to either your PCP or a urologist soon. This does require prompt treatment. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/983156-overview

I wish you a good prognosis.

Please let us know what your drs. say.
          Kimba

Comment

Working...
          X