ON Focusing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ON Focusing

My story is long and still unfolding. My question right now is if anyone else has experienced this. I was dx with ON in one eye, shortly followed by the other eye, so that I had it in both at once. The right eye got better, pain-wise, and then the left started hurting.

My vision was terrible in the right, but the vision in the left was never really noticeably different. My vision was this close to being back to normal, with only a slight smudge in the right. Now, it seems like my eyes are both focusing slowly, which causes slight dizziness.

It's even more frustrating because I can't think of how to describe it. My eyes feel "jumpy" too, like they're flitting all over the place. Almost like they're moving faster than they should and my vision can't catch up. I have to focus longer than I should to see a small area clearly. I hope this makes some kind of sense.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

If you are feeling like your eyes are "jumpy" they might very well be! You might have developed nystagmus or oscillopsia. Those are different than ON. They involve different nerves than ON does and different parts of the brain.

You can have jumpy eyes along with ON or they can occur separately. With jumpy eyes it's hard for your brain to know how to focus your eyes so what you are experiencing makes sense.

No matter what, have you contacted your neurologist?

And who diagnosed your ON? Do you have an ophthalmologist? Ideally you should be seeing an ophthalmologist somewhere along the line. You should see an ophthalmologist because a neurologist doesn't have the training or the equipment to properly examine your eyes.

Your eye trouble sounds awful! I hope you check in with your ophthalmologist and neurologist and get some help ASAP. If your new symptoms are from a flare, treatment with steroids might help to knock them down.

And it sounds like seeing a neuro-ophthalmologist would be a good idea since you now have more than one kind of neurological condition affecting your eyes. Most neuro-ophthalmologists take patients by referral only so if you aren't already seeing one you will have to get a referral from your neurologist, ophthalmologist or optometrist. I wish you all the best as you get this taken care of!

Comment

Thanks for your reply!

I'm not sure if I'm using the right word to describe it. Maybe not jumpy, but my eyes don't immediately focus on something so they move on to the next thing. For example, when reading, my eyes skim the text and I just string the words together.

I've contacted my neuro and she doesn't want to do anything until my lumbar puncture results come in next week.

My ON was diagnosed by my ophthalmologist.

Unfortunately, there isn't a neuro-ophthalmologist remotely near where I live, or I'd defiantly be seeing them.

I know that glasses don't help ON, and I had never needed glasses before, but I had a pair with a slight prescription strength from when I had seen an optometrist years ago. They're more like reading glasses, with a slight zoom to them. Oddly enough, they even out some blurriness in text and help with the focusing issue.

I'll have to see what happens next week with the neuro and will most likely end up at the ophthalmologist.

Comment

Originally posted by Media529 View Post
        I'm not sure if I'm using the right word to describe it. Maybe not jumpy, but my eyes don't immediately focus on something so they move on to the next thing. For example, when reading, my eyes skim the text and I just string the words together.
        Well, that different. It sounds like you'll definitely end up at your ophthalmologist because trouble reading isn't anything your neurologist can help you with. Good luck!

Comment

Eye Drops Cause It

I am just wondering if you use or used eye drops. Some eye drops added lysolecithin which causes demylination. So it could have demylinated your optic nerve. Also, there are eyelash extenders, mascaras, and eye liners, and eye creams, that have lysolecithin in them. You may want someone to read your ingredients lists or search them online to see. I pray your eye sight improves. May the Lord bless and keep you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesusdiedandlives View Post
            I am just wondering if you use or used eye drops. Some eye drops added lysolecithin which causes demylination. So it could have demylinated your optic nerve.
            A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Eyedrops do not demyelinate optic nerves. So for anyone frightened by this statement you can ignore it. Completely false.

Comment

Defraud

A lot of knowledge gets people well. Frightening people would not do. Telling the truth will get them well. Do not defraud me.

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
                A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Eyedrops do not demyelinate optic nerves. So for anyone frightened by this statement you can ignore it. Completely false.
                Perhaps I should have given more information. A little knowledge is okay in a post, but for a suffering human being, it may not be enough.

If you are frightened by a comment please ask me to elaborate more. I do not want to frighten you. I only want to help you identify the cause of your pain and eliminate it.
                I am glad we discuss this topic.

I am not sure if the poster is a male or female, so eye drops were a good in between starting point.

Let's see if the poster is a female, we can look her products. Do you use mascara? If so, what brand? Eye liner? Is so, what brand? Do you use eye creams? Eye lash extender gels? Are you using any products on or near your eyes? Do you use eye drops?

If you are a male. Do you use eye creams? Do you wear any make up listed above? Do you use shaving creams or gels or after shave? If so what brand? Do you lift weights or take body building supplements or vitamins?

I will help you investigate further into any of these areas.

A lot of knowledge will be a blessing.

Comment

lysolecithin

Originally posted by Jesusdiedandlives View Post
                  Some eye drops added lysolecithin which causes demylination.
                  When lysolecithin was used in controlled studies on animal models, this chemical was injected directly into the CNS, causing damage. It is only because the chemical was injected purposely into the CNS damage occurred.

MS is believed to be an autoimmune (actually, an immune-mediated) disease, because for whatever, still unknown reason, the body is attacking itself. There are several factors that are believed to play a role. Here's a link: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

I hope this helped clear up some confusion/ misinformation on the subject of Lysolecithin.

Take care,
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Nausea and unsteady gait because of eye

Has anyone else dealt with sx of nausea and unsteady gait with vision issues?

I had ON for my first sx of MS (finally dx in 2012). With ongoing issues with sight off and on, I now have an issue with nausea and unsteady gait.

My work at times has me doing close up work. The past two weeks and especially on Friday, I noticed that I have gotten nauseated in the stomach. When I would get this feeling I would walk away from my work to adjust my eyes thinking the ON might be happening again.

I had depth perception problems the week before, calle dthe opthalmologist and he said it was becasue of the low light days and that this was normal for my eye.

When I got nauseated and walked away from the job, I started to stagger to the left, my right eye is the problem.
                    My co-worker said, hey old lady you better watch where you are walking, lol. Turning 54 on monday.

I found relief from the nausea but when I went back to my station, it happened again, the nausea and when I walked away again, I walked and staggered to the left. Finally I felt like I needed to sit down. Thinking this is weird and how was I going to finish my day without anyone knowing what is wrong with me, coworkers don't know I have MS but I did tell my bosses (they are so nice).

Lunch was coming up and I had a meeting, so I knew I would be sitting. Whew ... thank God for miracles.

I called the opthlamologist and told him what happened. He said that was strange and that he wanted to see me in his office next week, (my appt wasn't until June 2014).

Just was wondering if anyone else had this issue?
                    STR

Comment

That's weird because if your balance system is working correctly it keeps you in balance whether your eyes are opened or closed. That's what the Romberg test checks for.

You might have a problem with your eye but if you are also getting off balance the major problem is in your balance system and not with your eye. It isn't your eye that's making you dizzy. You are dizzy because your balance system is malfunctioning and can't maintain your balance unless your eyes are open and functioning properly to keep you upright.

Your doctor will find the problem when you go in. I hope you feel OK until then.

Comment

Strhuntrss: You may have a mobility problem in your eyes. More than just your garden variety nystagmus, but even that can cause dizziness and unsteadiness. When your eyes no longer have their normal tracking system in place, your other systems can go haywire. There are three parts to balance: ears, eyes, and brain. They go in that order. Things like nystagmus and INO can really mess with the balance center of the brain due to the eye movements and non-smooth tracking.
                        Your neurologist will be able to look for these issues at your exam. It is a general part of the exam (eye tracking).

I hope they can help you, or at least send you to an ophthalmologist that can.

Take care
                        Lisa
                        Moderation Team
                        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                        Tysabri

Comment

Thank you Lisa and MSer ....

I learned something new today ... eye tracking

I have a pretty good opthamologist. He trained at the Mayo Clinic.

I will let you know after I see him on Tuesday
                          STR

Comment

Working...
                          X