LTD Review of Social Security Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTD Review of Social Security Offset

To Rich or others who have received similar requests.

I've been receiving SSID & LTD for 2 yrs. Recently I received a letter from the LTD provider that included a brief form; a "Consent for Release of Information" which they would provide to the Social Security Admin., so that the LTD office or their designated rep could obtain needed information, without any further action on my part, to conduct a routine review of my Social Security offset.

The LTD company wants this release of information to ensure that they (the LTD company) are administering my benefits correctly as they continue to manage my disability claim.

Is this common practice for LTD providers? I just wonder why, if this is a legitimate request, that the form requests personal info, i.e. DOB, SSN? Wouldn't the LTD provider already have that personal info and just send me a form that required my consent signature? I'm just skeptical, and aware of many of the scams that are around these days.

Thanks so much for any responses.

Your LTD policy must have a provision in the terms that requires you to apply for SSDI at the 2yr anniversiary of your initially approved claim. It's not unusual for LTD insurance providers to require that you apply or reapply if not already approved, for SSDI at the 2yr anniversary.

If you are approved for SSDI, your LTD provider will adjust your LTD benefit payment by the amount of SSDI benefit payments.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

Thank you so much for your response.

Comment

Hello, Melody60 and MSW1963. If it were me, Melody60, I would be concerned about signing a release to the LTD carrier. Are you required to do this under your policy? What information would they want? If it is information regarding your benefit payments, can you supply this information to them. These are questions I would be asking. If you want, you may wish to speak with an attorney who handles LTD claims to get his or her thoughts. All the best to you.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Thank you for your response and suggestions.

Comment

I did see your 11/19/13 post, melody60, and appreciate your acknowledgment. I know that dealing with an LTD carrier, or the SSA, can be stressful given that there is so much at stake. I wish you all the best and hope that all works out for you.

Wishing you a very Happy Holidays, too.

Rich
            Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
            X