Seeing things!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing things!

I see things out of the corner of my eyes. I always think I am seeing mice or spiders moving. It makes me crazy, I know there is nothing there. Do any of you see things out of the corner of your eyes?

I've had 2 similar episodes of visual 'irregularities' in the past. One was a visual 'hallucination' associated with a high dose of one of the very old fatigue meds thats no longer on the market.

The other was constantly seeing movement out of my peripheral vision that was not associated with a drug reaction. For a period of approx 2yrs, the visual problem would come and go, lasting for week/s at a time, then resolving for weeks.

I've had a few other visual problems, ON being one most associated with MS.

You may want to see a Neuro Opthamologist for an evaluation. My experience has been that other than ON, mild visual disturbences that come and go can be a challenge to dx.

Comment

Today was really bad for seeing things. I constantly saw things in my peripheral vision all day to the point I was feeling jumpy/anxiety. I also just started taking Ritalin again for fatigue. I don't know if they are related or not.

Comment

I'd consider the possibility that your Ritalin dose is related to your visual disturbences, as my fatigue med were with my episodes of visual hallucinations.

It's easy enough to assess yourself by using a dosing and sx's diary, or just being aware of dosing and onset of sx's.

I don't tolerate CNS stimulants due to the possibility of a variety of sx's like insomnia, occassional headache, shakey tremors, cognitive and vision problems, and anxiety.

I started Ritalin again recently and found it necessary to reduced my 5mg dose to 1.25mg or 1/4 of a 5mg pill. I'm not dosing daily. I'm not sure I will ever tolerate stimulants regardless of the slow taper up dosing, but I'm a bit determined because fatigue does have a way of diminishing everything.

A slower taper up may improve your Ritalin tolerence. There are also a few alternative meds, time released formulations, etc., you should talk to your doc about if R doesn't work out.

Comment

Just to be on the safe side, it might be a good idea to go to the eye doctor and have your eyes examined to make sure there isn't something physically wrong with one or both of them.

I remember reading about someone with MS who thought they were seeing things because of MS but it turned out they really had a detached retina. That's not good so it's a good idea to have it checked out even if you don't think that's what it is.

Comment

Amyrising: First: What medications are you taking? Your blood levels may be too high. Second: Depending on where your lesions are you may be having hallucinations due to the lesions (usually temporal lobe). Talk with your neurologist about these hallucinations, they are not uncommon. Perhaps all you need is a medication tweak. If not, you may just need an additional medication.

Hope you feel better soon!

Take care
            Lisa
            Moderation Team
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X