Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betaseron switch?

Hi,
    New to this board and MS. I have been on Betaseron for 10 months. I "only" get some itchy red welts on my stomach from the injection sites. The "only" MS sign of MS I have is a tingling down my spine, and lesions.
    With the new oral med Tec out there, my neurologist is considering switching me to it.
    Any thoughts.opinions? Should I switch to an oral med, just so I don't have to do injections....with limited side effects? Or switch to a simpler oral med, with unknown side effect to me?

Hello jlk9498

Welcome! You are very brave! I considered switching from Betaseron due to the shots, etc...but I'm too scared I'll lose the benefit I believe I have received..

Good luck wih your decision and keep us informed on your changes

Take care
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

To me, the one important thing I consider is: does the med work?

For starters, 10 months on any MS DMD isn't a long stretch of time. You also haven't mentioned something important (to me its the one thing that really matters)- how do your follow-up MRI's look?

As a secondary issue, has there been little or no change in your liver function and blood work? Meaning, are you tolerating the med well?

Just as an aside, have you tried to manually inject your shots? Beta, like the other interferons, requires time for you to develope a tolerance. Manual shots vs the auto injector seems to work better for many of us.
      Just call Betaplus and ask for more shot training if you'd like to try going manual. It isn't hard at all once you're used to it and slow and steady seems to work better than the "wham bam thank you Ma'am" of the auto-injector.

You may also want to invest in a bottle of rubbing alchohol and a bag of cotton balls and see if they reduce the red spots and welts. In my opinion, the red spots might be due to the preserved junk in the alchohol pads that come in your kit. Try ditching the pads from the kit and replace them with the rubbing alchohol and cotton for a couple of shots.

Comment

I have a followup MRI scheduled for December. So I don't know how the Betaseron is "working". My doc was going to see the MR I and then go from there.

Yes, I will try the rubbing alcohol .....the red itchy spots only happen on my stomach.

Comment

Working...
        X