relapse 7 months ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relapse 7 months ago

Which affected my left side, but only with movement. I would get painful spasms and a slur that would only last a minute then go away.

I recovered but now I am getting an odd weakness on the left side. Do you think it's a flair and should be treated with steroids or an actual separate attack? Seems to be getting a little worse.
    Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

The only way anyone could know for sure is with an MRI to see if you have any enhancing lesions.

I hope this isn't another flare for you! I think you should contact your neuro, especially if things get worse.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Best wishes,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Katje View Post
      Do you think it's a flair and should be treated with steroids or an actual separate attack?
      Flare and attack are names for the same thing. A flare is an attack is an exacerbation is a relapse. If it has been more than 30 days from the start of your last flare - and it has been - then it's considered to be a separate attack.

Whether it needs to be treated with steroids is something you'll have to talk about with your neurologist. Have you called your neuro about it?

A flare/attack/exacerbation/relapse is defined by the onset of new or the worsening of existing symptoms, etc. A flare is NOT defined by new activity on an MRI. There can be an obvious new attack based on symptoms that doesn't show up as an active lesion on an MRI and there can be an active lesion on an MRI that doesn't have any symptoms.

The definition of a flare being based on symptoms goes back many many years, before there were MRI's. But since MRI's don't always correlate to symptoms, I think that's why the definition of an attack hasn't been changed.

If you have signs and symptoms of a flare, it's considered to be a flare regardless of what an MRI shows. A lot of neurologists order an MRI just to see what's going on and get a different kind of confirmation but some don't because they know it doesn't overrule what the signs and symptoms are. Some don't order an MRI because they're lazy. (I had one like that.) And some don't know that the MRI doesn't overrule the signs and symptoms and they are the neuro's who need to be replaced.

If your weakness is new or an obvious worsening of old weakness that has lasted consistently for more than 24 hours and you don't have a fever or infection, I think you should call your neurologist. You could very well be having a new flare and you'll benefit from talking about it with your doctor.

Comment

Working...
      X