No announcement yet.

explain "fatigue"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until you Experience it...you can't understand it.

The worst thing is the fatigue. When I am in a flair life becomes so darn hard. Trying to explain it to anyone who hasn't lived it is demoralizing. They just can't understand. It doesn't matter how much you sleep, or how little you do. Sometimes just keeping your eyes open is physically painful. If you have to work it is like running a marathon every single day. Limbs feel heavy and it is seemingly endless. A full day on the weekend may only be picking up a few groceries.

Then one day (for some of us) it lifts and you have your life back for awhile. Be easy on yourself. Listen to your body....and know there are many of us feeling the same way.

Comment

Re: fatigue

I've had RA since my teens, fibromyalgia as secondary, and now clinically isolated syndrome. I am going through an RA flare right now and while the pain is intense at times, the fatigue is the most constant and debilitating thing. I can work through pain easier than the fatigue. Thank God for my job...I have home office days and as I am the most prolific employee, if I need to take a nap when I'm home, they don't care.

This is not a fatigue associated with any exertion. I wake up just as tired as I was when I went to sleep. A nap can sometimes get me through to bedtime. In the past, I lost days to the fatigue. I had sick days and missed college classes because I was too tired to work.
      CIS DX 2013

Comment

Fatigue

I have been burning the candle from both ends for several days now ~ I know that I will pay soon but can't seem to let myself slow down. I think I am trying to show myself how long I can go without the inevitable payback moment. I am thinking " how stupid am I ?" but there are things I want to do and people I want to be with, so I keep going.

My question is this... in the overall scheme of MS, how much longterm damage does this " going, going, going, " and then "gone, gone, gone" do to our systems ?

At one point in this disease, I was resting regularly and being very cautious in over exerting myself. Now I am like, bring it on, I am going to go until I drop and then do it again when my body cooperates.
        Any words of wisdom ????

Happy Wednesday to all !

Comment

Originally posted by golfwidow View Post
          I have been burning the candle from both ends for several days now ~ I know that I will pay soon but can't seem to let myself slow down. I think I am trying to show myself how long I can go without the inevitable payback moment. I am thinking " how stupid am I ?" but there are things I want to do and people I want to be with, so I keep going.

My question is this... in the overall scheme of MS, how much longterm damage does this " going, going, going, " and then "gone, gone, gone" do to our systems ?

At one point in this disease, I was resting regularly and being very cautious in over exerting myself. Now I am like, bring it on, I am going to go until I drop and then do it again when my body cooperates.
          Any words of wisdom ????

Happy Wednesday to all !
          I have words, but I don't know if they are wise.

I have not been at this long, but I know that I am cautious generally - I purposely "save" energy some days, and use a lot others. I wouldn't even say I was conscious of this until recently.

I think it's just something you work around and figure out how to manage for you and your set of circumstances. This of course is for the general fatigue, the daily just being tired. I'm not sure how I will manage another one of those whopper episodes, I couldn't figure out anything while it was happening. I'm going to be thinking hard about building in some safe guards for the next time it comes up though.

Comment

I have fatigue terribly bad right now.......it is extremely hard to get out of my bed and do anything.....it takes great effort. I had a few decent days the last 4 days until today...it hit once again? I feel as if I am paying for those good days now.......I haven't been diagnosed with MS by a neurologist yet...I have an apt nov 18 for the doctor to look at my MRI which shows brain lesions......I had no idea about MS at all until I was told I possibly have it and did research. I think I would have been better off just waiting until the apt but the apt is weeks away yet.....I so understand what people are talking about with the terrible fatigue though....I hope if I do have MS, I can find a medication to help with the fatigue so I can get back to the gym and at least try to exercise by walking......

Comment

Fatigue

Well, payday hit Friday ---- I didn't leave the house or the sofa Friday or Saturday. Feeling better -- glad I did all the things I did" burning the candle at both ends" -- just glad that I was able to spend two days zoned out and exhausted with MS fatigue. Right leg numb, left leg is now getting into the action, and MS hug around my upper back is in high gear.
              Right leg and back are old -- left leg is a new symptom.
              Oh well, I am sure I caused the right leg and back to flare up by my overdoing it ---- but did I cause a new flare in my left leg by overdoing ??? Or is that just a timing coincidence ?
              You'd think after 9 years of this I'd understand it by now --- but I don't !!!
              Happy Sunday -- almost Monday to All

Comment

Google Lamar Freed and fatigue to get a great description/explanation of ms fatigue

Freed is an MD who has MS. It has been a few years since I looked for his wonderful article on fatigue but I remember it well.
                "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Originally posted by MSLazarus View Post
                  Freed is an MD who has MS. It has been a few years since I looked for his wonderful article on fatigue but I remember it well.
                  Thanks, just looked it up. Very helpful.

Comment

If MSWORLD doesn't already have one, I think we need a whole section devoted to fatigue. It is such a universal symptom for most of us. But it hits each of us a little differently.

There are times I just think I am having a heart attack. I get that tired and everything hurts and there is just no energy left over for anything. For me it's a very confusing symptom.

Is there any way we can combine or compile a sub section for fatigue??
                    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                      If MSWORLD doesn't already have one, I think we need a whole section devoted to fatigue. It is such a universal symptom for most of us. But it hits each of us a little differently.

Is there any way we can combine or compile a sub section for fatigue??
                      marti - we do have a sub forum for fatigue! It's in our new forum called MS Symptoms and it's the top sx! http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129

This thread will be moved over to the fatigue sub-forum. Guess we missed moving this one over.
                      Thanks for the question
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                        marti - we do have a sub forum for fatigue! It's in our new forum called MS Symptoms and it's the top sx! http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129

This thread will be moved over to the fatigue sub-forum. Guess we missed moving this one over.
                        Thanks for the question

Thanks for the information. Great idea.
                        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Too tired to eat

When my husband and SIL went out to a fish fry (love Wisconsin!) I was too tired to go and have someone wait on me. Just crashed on the couch.

Comment

I think I'm experiencing my first real bout with MS fatigue. I'm newly diagnosed and of course have read everything I can about everything MS related. The fatigue, like someone said a few posts ago, you can't understand until you experience it, and I guess I wasn't really prepared for THIS. I'm sitting here crying my eyes out because IT'S SO FRUSTRATING. I'm supposed to go to a concert tonight with my boyfriend, that I've been looking forward to, and I just can barely move. i can barely hold my head up. Chewing my food even took a real effort. I'm slumped down in a chair, feeling like I just don't even have the strength to hold myself upright. I hate this. I don't want this. I've been nauseous for days. I feel like my vision is a little foggy - especially driving at night - my depth perception is non-existent and the flares and glares off headlights, etc is really really bad.

This is the first time MS has affected me bad enough that i can't do what I want to do, and that's a really tough pill to swallow. I just started back to work full time last week - worked 8 hours on Thursday & Friday for the first time since I was diagnosed. I wonder if I can do it. I have to.
                            No sir, I don't like it.
                            Diagnosed August 30, 2013.

Comment

You work too hard

Your body can only take so much inflammation causing toxins.

Raviolis and children’s foods – increased levels of lysolecithin. Kids!

Infant formula – added lysophosphatidylcholine. Babies!

Make up – lysolecithin.

Weight training – lysophosphatidylcholine.

Lysophosphatidylcholine occurs naturally in very small quantities in our bodies, but it causes lesions on the central nervous system when in greater amounts. Do you know what that means? It means multiple sclerosis, the disease that causes progressive paralysis.

I think the fatigue is caused by fighting off the extra lysolecithin and the vasoconstriction effects of the lysolecithin. Your body's trying to pump this blood through constricted veins and it's difficult. Also, your body's not getting the blood back to the heart. So, there you go. You're tired.

(Google demylination and lysolecithin.)

Comment

The best description for MS Fatigue

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                                I recently came across the best explanation of MS fatigue I've ever seen.

I've attampted to put a link in my profile. Hope it works!

Thank you Hawkeye!

Thank you so much for this link. I finally have my answer for my husband in word form. He read this and now understands somewhat of what I am going through.

Dealing with fatigue and my eye today caused me to take off work yet again. This morning I was on site and saw the thread you blessedly left for us.

Thank you, Thank You, Thank YOu!!!

To all who have dealt with this part of the MonSter. Please read this. I now do not feel inadequate in my wanting to convey how I am feeling to my husband and my loved ones and friends.

Again Bless You Hawkeye for your part in helping us help ourselves.

And Thank You and Bless You MS World for all that you do for us the bloggers and readers.

Without you ... I would have surely lost my mind and would still be alone in this complicated time in my life!

Bless YOU one and all!
                                STR

Comment

Working...
                                X