Unemployment and SSDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment and SSDI

I am currently collecting unemployment due to a lay off at my job in April, In July I started the process of filing for SSDI since I knew I would never be able to get another job in that field and I am only getting worse anyway ,So I just received a letter today that I was granted SSDI, my question is how and when do I notify unemployment? Will they hold this against me? Also SSDI set my disability date to 4/24/13 which is the last day I worked so I'm assuming they know I've been collecting since then? Isn't all this available for them to see just by looking at your SS#. I just don't know what to do next just stop applying for my checks on the internet or call someone...... Any info would be greatly appreciated. PS Im located in NJ.

I was unemployed due to downsizing/reorganization and collected unemployment benefits in my state. I also applied for SSDI and was awarded back pay benefits to my original date of disability less the waiting period. My unemployment benefits and SS back pay benefits period overlaped/paid for the same period of time.

I notified my SSDI attorney about the unemployment benefits I collected and was informed that according to my state's unemployment regs I did not owe any of the unemployment benefits back to my state.

If not for the 'glitch' in my state's unemployment law that allowed both employment and SSDI benefits, the unemployment benefits I collected would have been withheld from SSDI back pay benefits, as repayment, assuming I notified SSDI and/or unemployment agency for the funds to be withheld. Otherwise it's possible for it would have been withheld from my monthly SSDI benefits in low repayment amounts.

There was a federal extension of unemployment benefits approx. 1yr later and I started receiving unemployment benefits again.

I was sure I was headed up the river to the big house for receiving unemployment and SSDI. Caused me huge stress the entire time I colleced unemployment. My SS attorney thought it was 'cute' Me, not so much.

Good luck, I hope you live in a state that allows for both unemployment and SS.

Comment

Unemployment comp

Hello adtvnh and MSW1963. In general, I advise my clients to advise both SSA and unemployment of either application being filed or benefits received.

Yes, SSA can run a query as to unemployment compensation benefits received and I have not heard of Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits being offset by the receipt of unemployment compensation benefits, although I have heard that unemployment benefits can be so offset, dependent upon state law.

This is what SSA has to say on the matter on one of their many web pages:

SOCIAL SECURITY AND UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS

If you receive Unemployment Compensation and you become entitled to Social Security benefits on your own work record, or on the record of another, such as a widow or spouse, your Unemployment Compensation may be reduced. The laws of the state in which benefits are applied for will determine the reduction of unemployment benefits. Receipt of any type of Social Security benefit must be reported to your state's Department of Labor Unemployment Compensation Service. They will determine if any offsets apply.

http://www.ssa.gov/phila/Displaced-Workers.htm

See also: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...-the-same-time.

And if you are in the mood for some "heavy lifting" reading, I commend this page to you: http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progd...s/unemploy.pdf

If you are represented by an attorney, speak with him or her regarding your specific situation. My comments here are not legal advice for any particular situation.

Best of luck,

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

If you're in Australia, Maurice Blackburn lawyers helps people with MS and their families with legal matters.

Comment

Working...
        X