Pillsbury dough boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pillsbury dough boy

I had steroids about 10 months ago. I'm so puffy. I've gained so much weight!

Doing my normal choice of exercise (aerobics, walking, riding the bike) is not possible. I cannot stand!

Watching what I eat is near impossible. I'm in a nursing home where the majority need to gain weight. A lot of carbs are the only choice.

I don't snack. I do enjoy an occasional DP.

I don't usually see myself in a mirror. My picture was recently taken.

One of my aids thought I had gained about 5 pounds. I've gained about 30 since I'm no longer living at my own home.

I've lost control!

How do deal with gaining weight when you are sedentary?

Hi msastros,

I really don't know what else to recommend, except watching what you eat & cutting portions. The puffiness and water weight from the steroids is long gone by now. Unfortunately, doesn't sound like your choice of food is much help.

I've spent some time in a nursing home, so know what some of them serve and not being given any choices to even attempt to eat healthy! (And some places are better at keeping track of your weight than others ... doesn't sound like where you are is one of them )

At one place I was in, the best I could do was periodically find an apple in the snack cart down the hall (for visitors & guests) or choose baked fish when it was on the menu (which was rare). There were plenty of times I barely touched the food they served, though. Besides the meals being nothing but carbs, they were covered in gravy. My appetite shut down and I was losing weight, anyway. Thankfully, for me, I was only at that particular place 6 weeks.

I know diabetics can't eat like that, so maybe you could ask what they serve them. Maybe you could get on a better menu that way. I don't know if there's anyone who could bring you a more nutritious meal or snacks once in awhile, or even a box of cereal (like Cheerios, Rice Krispies, or Raisin Bran) and you could substitute better choices that way. Just order low fat milk for that meal (hopefully, they'll at least have that).

Do whatever exercises you can even if you need to do them while sitting. I hope you have some form of PT & OT to maintain the strength you do have.

Hoping you find some way to eat better so you can loose the weight! Excess weight for someone with MS makes it that much harder to move, even if you can only do transfers.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi and welcome!

Arm exercises can be considered aerobic as well. Just flail your arms around, air punch, punch and stretch, windmill, etc. Just get your heart rate up.

Comment

How about one chair yoga? More and more instructors are modifying yoga moves for people in chairs, wheel or otherwise.

Comment

Hi Newbie, Choosing a diabetic low salt menu would help. But it won't fix it.

Please be patient, those that don't have the sensitivity to steroids, simply do not understand how it can affect our bodies and food choices have little to do with it.

I've had plenty of steroids over the past few decades and understand. Not to mention that the medications aren't exactly helping a weight issue, either.

Recently a husband/caregiver of his wife sent me an email: "My wife is about 300 pounds now and eating has never been her problem. She was always lean and fit, before her dx of M.S. I don't care what anyone says, the drugs for M.S. are killing her."

I am allergic to Penicillin too. But someone else can take it and not have a reaction! What works for one is not necessarily good for another.

Food in those places, leaves plenty to the imagination. Often I couldn't identify what the food or its contents were. Plus, the salt content is questionable, as well.

No answers for you except; Be Kind To Yourself! fed

Comment

Working...
          X