court today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

court today

I finally went to court today after almost 2 years waiting. I was told that now it would probably take another month to get the decision.

Anybody got any ideas during or right after court as to how your case went.

Suffering from this disease, waiting 2 years for the court hearing and then I only had 30 minutes to go through my medical files. Sure doesn't seem fair.

Got a big fat headache just stressing all day.
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

Suffering from this disease, waiting 2 years for the court hearing and then I only had 30 minutes to go through my medical files. Sure doesn't seem fair.

I wish I had positive info to share with you but thankfully I was approved pretty quickly. Just want you to know the first years after diagnosis and disability were not easy for me either. I hope you get good news soon regarding your hearing and all things stress related ease up for you.

Very best of luck to you and let us know how long it takes to hear the status of your hearing.

Comment

thank you so much. to know that someone cares does help.
      DIAGNOSED=2012
      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

[QUOTE=mercadies25;1430622]I finally went to court today after almost 2 years waiting. I was told that now it would probably take another month to get the decision.

Anybody got any ideas during or right after court as to how your case went.

I was approved for SSDI after 3 denials and waiting almost 3 yrs. to speak to a judge.

The judge informed my lawyer that I was approved, right after she spoke w/ me.

I received money pretty quickly in my bank account.

Comment

awesome, congratulations.

I bet it felt good after so long.

I really hope it doesn't take as long as they say.

I just don't understand with all the med. records how they can deny it.
          DIAGNOSED=2012
          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Hope it works out well for your mercadies25. By the way, just to clarify, I think you meant that you had a hearing before an administrative law judge (ALJ), right, not court? Because these matters also can go to federal court if one is denied by an ALJ and the Appeals Counsel. I don't really consider a hearing before an ALJ to be a court matter. Here's some general information on SSA's website regarding the hearing process - http://www.ssa.gov/appeals/hearing_process.html#a0=4.

Rich
            Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Best of luck to you!!! I got my decision about 20 days after the ALJ hearing, with my attorney. I was still denied. I will hope that isn't the case for you!!
              Diagnosed Aug. 2011 - Currently on Tysabri

Comment

This goes to show that there is no direct correlation between how long it takes to get an ALJ decision and whether the decision is favorable or not.

Rich
                Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

RICH

OK I have been patient, but now it's been over 2 months.

Just wondering if there is something wrong with the case or what? I have never heard of any case going over 2 months.

Who could I call to find out. My lawyer has no answers just wait. Surely there is some way to find out what is taking so long to get a decision.

I am broke, broke, broke. I hate to be a pest but I don't have a pay check and I do have lots of bills.
                  DIAGNOSED=2012
                  ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                  REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

mercadies have you tried calling Social Security directly or going to your local Social Security office to talk with a representative?

Comment

yes and they won't talk to me because I hired a lawyer. And if you read my other posts he doesn't communicate well.

I called him yesterday to give him the number to call but he was already gone for the weekend.
                      DIAGNOSED=2012
                      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

curious

I can not believe that they will not talk to you. It is still your case even if you hired a lawyer. But, maybe I am not a realist.
                        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

yeah I couldn't believe it either. I am so frustrated right now. I just don't know what to do.

I just want to go off on someone. No one has ever heard of a decision taking so long.

I am beyond broke and tired of begging and pleading.

My eyes are going and I need to see a dr. I just want what I have worked for.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
                          DIAGNOSED=2012
                          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

mercadies if you are that unhappy with your attorney, why don't you fire him? You can call Social Security and ask them if they will start giving information to you if you are no longer represented by your attorney and are now acting on your own behalf. I would let them explain how they can restrict information to only an attorney who no longer represents you. Let their answer be your guide about what you should do.

It sounds like your goal now is just to find a way you can get information yourself. So you can ask Social Security how to go about doing that, including removing him as your representative. There's probably something in your contract with your attorney that covers termination of your association so you can use that for guidance as well. Rich might have something to say about it too next time he comes around, if you can wait that long.

If the only thing that's keeping you from getting information is your association with your attorney, maybe removing that roadblock will get you the information you are after. Remember, it would just be for information right now. There are other legalities involved - and you are not going to like them - but you can deal with them as they come up.

Good luck! I hope you get your information soon.

Comment

I'd speak to another

attorney and ask for their advice before I fired the one you currently have. Wouldn't want to be without one, just in case. Also there must be fee arrangements in your retainer agreement. You might want to call your local bar association and explain the situation. Sorry you're going through this!

Comment

Working...
                              X