Canada -- Disability Tax Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada -- Disability Tax Credit

How long did it take for you to get your DTC approved?

I only sent in my application in September but not sure if it's like a 3, 6, or 13 month wait.

Mine was approved immediately (a few weeks). It took longer to fill out the application (GP had a section to do for mobility issues, eye doc had a section for blindness).

There's a book you can access on line on CRA website that states things you can claim with it, as well as being a tax credit. It can also be ordered in large print or Braille and mailed to you.

Good thing is once approved, it stays on file forever, never have to reapply. I'd call in Nov to check on it, gives you a wee while before dreaded tax time.

Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Great thanks!

I just checked and it has been about 4 weeks now. Hope they approve it soon! I had my OT at Toronto Rehab fill it out for me to address walking and activities of daily living.

I will wait a few weeks and then call them.

Comment

Okay got my approval today (bittersweet...) but it says I have to reapply for 2018! My OT specifically said on my application that PPMS is neuro-degenerative and that am not getting better.

Maybe they changed their policies?

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
          Okay got my approval today (bittersweet...) but it says I have to reapply for 2018! My OT specifically said on my application that PPMS is neuro-degenerative and that am not getting better.

Maybe they changed their policies?
          SSDI does require info every 3-5 yrs, in the US anyway. I would speak to your doctors about this as they are familiar w/ the process.

Comment

It seems like some people get it permanently and some for a limited time. It is just a tax credit and not disability income. I will mention it to my neuro rehab community service worker though.

Comment

I've never heard of that, I was told that it's forever, not just mine but pretty much everyone's... did your doc fill out the form as such?

I'd call CRA... It's their criteria... "severe and prolonged illness".... ummmm.

Don't forget that you can back claim up to 10 years prior to it being approved. If you're planning on this, the expiry date may affect things. Not just tax credits but being able to claim things (mobility aids, etc.).

Geez, nothing's simple with the government, is it? Having said that, been glued to the tv watching Ford!!!

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I've googled around and it is apparently their discretion to place a time limit on approval or to request someone to reapply.

I totally fit the criteria and had my OT at Toronto Rehab fill it out for me. It is approved and I can file readjustment back to 2009 when I first reported symptoms but it expires in tax year 2017 so I need to reapply for tax year 2018.

Wonder if they are asking for reapplying because there are so many clinical trials now for MS. Unless they can remylienate my brain and spinal cord, this is as good as it gets, lol!

I am going to give CRA a call on Monday.

Comment

I have to reapply in a few years too.

Comment

Working...
                  X