Un-diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Un-diagnosed

I have been having issues most of my life. Back in 87 when i was in the army, I have my medical records indicating numbness in my left arm and leg.

When I got out the VA did an MRI and noted I had demyelination of the nerves of the central nervous system in the brain and spine.they did spinal taps blood work etc etc etc.. the results? They never confirmed anything.

Now in August i has an episode where the entire left side of my body from my shoulder to my knees went completely with out feeling. They put me on a steroid pack and things came back.. mostly.

Again I have done the MRI's the spinal tap and well the VA has not told me anything about it. i know the results are in, i can download them. but they mean nothing to the untrained eye.

My issues have been going on for 30 years, and i still don't know what it is. all i get is MS possible on my MRI's so till they tell me different i have to assume that is what it is.

My symptoms include memory lapses, tingling/burning or numbness on my left side, Fatigue and difficulty speaking (a lot of times words get lost somewhere between my brain and my mouth).

I am not really asking any questions, it is what it is. I just hope to someday get a real answer about what it is.

To me, getting the proper medical treatment is better than having a "name" assigned to it. MS can go years or even decades without getting diagnosed. You might consider printing out the current McDonald criteria for the diagnosis of MS and asking your doctor to go over it with you. I'd also see what diagnostic or billing codes they are using in your medical charts. If they are using cpt code "340" that is Multiple Sclerosis.

I could not tell if the VA was the one who completed your last MRI. What is your status with the VA? Were you ever in a combat zone? Did you ever apply for service-connected compensation for your medical problems? Provided you had a 10% disability rating within 7 years of military discharge your MS should be considered service-related. Even without a definitive diagnosis you should request compensation.

By requesting compensation, the VA may send you to another neurologist for evaluation and diagnosis. This would give you an independent review of your medical history and potentially the diagnosis you seek. It can also add a few dollars to your monthly budget so you can buy yourself a root beer float and tell complete strangers about the "good times."

I hope you keep us informed. Be well and thank you for your service to our country.

Comment

Working...
    X