Cold Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Weather

Hello World. I hope that everyone is as fantastic as can be I know that the heat and MS dont go good together, but is anyone also bothered by cold weather? Aside from just being cold...I mean does the cold weather affect your walking, mobility, etc?
    Be the best You the You can Be!

When it's cold and windy the parts of my body (left arm and leg) affected when I have a relapse become really stiff. Granted this usually happens when I'm walking from my car to somewhere and it's a 2-3 minute walk, but it sure makes my foot drop noticeable! I'm not sure why it happens because I imagine my brain/spinal column doesn't drop much in temperature, but it's annoying.
    Lori
    Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

I am sensitive to both heat and cold and it is really difficult to regulate my body temperature.

When it is cold out, my spasticity kicks in and movement is difficult. When I get too cold, my body also just hurts.

Comment

I don't know if it was just that my relapse in December was really bad or if the cold had something to do with it, but I happened to notice when we had a cold front move through back then that my body was so stiff, it was even harder for me to move than before. I'm still new to this though, so that's about the only experience I have, but I get the feeling extreme temp changes will affect me from now on.
        Diagnosed 1/4/13
        Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that cold weather!!! The heat destroys me so I feel so much better when it is cold.
          dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

The most comfortable temp for me is around 76 degrees inside. And in the 70's outside. I can feel when the temp drops by 1-2 degrees in the house because I start feeling achy, stiff, sore. This sends me into mental fog and I don't even want to move. As soon as I get the temp up, I feel better. Kind of like when you have a fever and feel crappy, and when it breaks you start feeling better. My big problem is that my husband likes it COLD in the house, but over the years, he's become more understanding of my needs.

Comment

Eh, I am Goldilocks...it can't be too hot or too cold

I prefer temps between 55-65f. Too cold and I ache, stiff, pain, slow. Too hot and I have pain, vertigo, nausea, stupid, and slow...I prefer cold weather as I can always add layers. I wish we could afford to live in Pacific NW...perfect for me!
              RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Reynauds here

I am very susceptible to the cold. Even being in a cold grocery store will set me off. Once I get very cold I have a very hard time warming up. Eating ice cream will do it as well.

Heat is ok for me in general, I try to avoid exertion for long periods in extreme heat.
                Dx May 2002 RRMS
                Rebif Sept 2002 to June 2011
                Gilenya June 2011 - present
                EDSS 0.0

Comment

Temperatures below 50 should be against the law

I moved to Washington State 15 years ago from the Gulf Coast States. The first winter I was here I tried to be a good sport about winter but the cold just hurt. People would tell me to layer my clothes. My reply over the years came to be "but you still have to breathe cold air and it hurts". Everyone thought I was nuts. It got so bad that from November to March I was almost agoraphobic. Then on 12/1/12 I got my diagnosis. Yes, it does hurt to breathe cold air ... It's called the hug! I wish I could afford to move back to the south and never see another flake of snow in my life! I'm fine with the heat as long as it doesn't get over 100. And I really miss the sun, it never shines here.

Comment

Cold and cog fog

Its been really cold for me the past several days (highs in the low 40s, lows in the low 20s - and it's just the first week of Nov!). I've always had a problem with spasticity with the cold but yesterday I had to go to the store and got sever cog fog.
                    I hope I survive the rest of the winter without doing anything too dumb. Have a good laugh at my expense and let it warm your heart!

When I got home from the grocery I placed my bags on the kitchen counter wondering how all that stuff fit in two bags? Where was all the stuff I bought? Didn't I buy this, that or the other? My two dachshunds are looking up at me as I mutter to myself. Mom? Are you okay? I can hear them thinking. I pull out the receipt, sure enough there's about 10 items on the receipt that are not on my counter. I go look in the car. Not there. Feeling like a complete fool I drive back to the store. (Good Lord, should I be driving? Good thing I live in a very small town.) I look for my basket in the parking lot. It's not there. Shot! I go to customer service to see if anyone turned them in. "No ma'ma it doesn't look like it. Someone probably just took them out of the cart. But, don't worry about it, it happens all the time." I couldn't believe the "all the time" part.

The young man then told me stories of people driving off without emptying the cart at all - purse included. Large amounts of beer left on the bottom of carts. I still felt like a fool but at least I had a valid excuse. I never sleep well in the cold months, I was tired from the grocery shopping as well, then I had to stand out in the cold putting the bags in the car. My brain had shut down.

Of course, my first trip home had contained the most vital item on my shopping list. Dog treats. So my two boys didn't have to wait for mom to go back to the store before they got their daily thanks for being my loyal loving companions!

Comment

Cold definetly affects me more than heat. It makes my spasticity issues really bad in hands ! Heat will affect me more in terms of fatigue and heaviness in limbs.

Comment

Hey ODD DUCK.. Sounds like we are in the same part of Washington...email me if you want

And yes;my spasticity kicks in with the cold; but if I keep moving and dress in layers I do well. Pretty used to it.

Justacowgirl
                        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Working...
                        X