Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pregnant with MS

Hi ladies!

I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant and so far so good. My Neurologist is still seeing me every 3 months to monitor my symptoms but I have quit ALL my medications. Baby is healthy and happy and we find out in 4 more weeks if it's a boy or a girl! I am, however, not feeling so healthy and happy. I was taking a stimulant for fatigue which I had to quit along with an antidepressant. I am struggling day and night with fatigue and that all around "blue" feeling. I'm SO SO excited about the baby but at the same time I'm just not feeling like myself. I know there are some antidepressants that are "safe" during pregnancy but there's always that little risk and that makes me nervous. My MS symptoms have greatly improved since I got pregnant which I find so amazing but the fatigue seems to be even worse. I still work full time but it is rapidly draining me. I'm falling behind on house work because I pretty much go to bed when I get home from work. Any suggestions on what I can do? I have a wonderful husband but he works very late and I have a 7 year old son that takes the last remaning drops of energy I have left each day lol. Any advice would be SO appreciated.

I am sorry you are having a hard time. Pregnancy can be rough even without MS.

I just wanted to jump in with my 2 cents and ask you to carefully consider taking any antidepressant. 10 years ago they said Paxil was safe to take during pregnancy and now they say it wasn't.

Good luck and hopefully your fatigue will ease a little as you enter your second trimester.

Comment

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy! Advice? Screw the housework for now, close doors, etc. Don't try to do it all, you're only pregnant for a short time so you don't want to wear yourself out.

As well, enjoy this time with your 7 year old... did I already say screw the housework? If I didn't, screw the housework, especially since you work full-time.

Please be sure to let us know how you're doing and also, if your baby is a boy or girl if you find out.
      Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thanks gals

I had a talk with both my husband and son about needing extra help to keep the house from becoming a disaster area. My son agrees to keep his dirty clothes in the hamper and help me with sweeping. I guess it is pretty silly of me to try and keep up with everything by myself.

As for the antidepressants... I don't want to take them and I don't plan on taking them unless things get really serious. My OB said if my depression gets bad it could be a risk to the baby. But for now I'm using the "too busy to be depressed" route lol!

Comment

*update*

i'm miserable! i'm having really bad leg cramps all night long which is making sleep impossible. i don't know if it's pregnancy or MS that's causing it but now my fatigue is off the charts. i can barely function. its as if every ounce of energy i have is spent just showering and getting dressed. then i literally have no muscle strength, my tremors get worse and my eyes cant stay open. my body seems to be screaming at me that it's done for the day and its 9:00 in the morning.

Comment

Hi Katie626,

i don't know if it's pregnancy or MS that's causing it but now my fatigue is off the charts. i can barely function.
            It's a combination of both.

Pregnancy for any woman even without health issues can cause horrible fatigue. Then you add in the normal MS fatigue and it sucks...fatigue wise

i'm having really bad leg cramps all night long which is making sleep impossible.
            Leg cramps can be a normal part of pregnancy. Try stretching your leg muscles before going to bed and make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

my body seems to be screaming at me that it's done for the day and its 9:00 in the morning.
            If you are able to, just give in to it for right now.

Relax and enjoy your pregnancy.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Sorry Katie

yes, those nightly leg cramps are killers!! I have received some relief from a bar of soap under my sheets in the bed (google Dr Gott soap in bed) ...I don't know why it works...physicological or ? but I don't care it has helped...I'm not saying they're gone completely but I can sleep and function during the day..

My first/worse major flare was during my 3rd pregnancy, 7th month lasted about 2 weeks...that was almost 28 years ago.

take care
              Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

One thing I've learned since having MS is that you need to know all your options. I don't know what type of work you do, but you might want to think about what if you can't work through this pregnancy. Think about working part time if you can, and also check into your STD and LTD policies. Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon. But as you know, MS is so unpredictable. So get as much info as possible to prepare yourself.

Comment

Working...
                X