Urethral dilatation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urethral dilatation

Has anyone had to have this done? Apparently, my urethra is obstructing the outflow and it's not the first time. But, it's the first time I was made aware of it.

I'm wondering if the doc chose the right procedure for what's going on. After being rushed through this process and a cytoscopy, I had to tell him I'm going through another MS workup because this MRI showed lesions. His eyes lit up like a lightbulb came on and he said, "Yeah, that would cause this."

By "this," he's referring to the inability to empty and retention following anesthesia which led to a UTI a couple of months later, followed by a kidney stone a month after that. Now the stream is extremely slow and my urethra was closing up. So he dilated it, apparently for a second time. The first time having been done in 2008, which can't be accurate because I never saw this doc until 2011.

It wasn't pleasant, and I'm wondering if this should have been addressed differently, and also who's records they have mixed up with mine, or if he just got the date wrong and has done this before without my knowledge. I certainly don't remember that pain during the first cytoscopy.
    It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Originally posted by lusciousleaves View Post
    I'm wondering if the doc chose the right procedure for what's going on.
    Hi lusciousleaves,

What procedure, the Cystoscopy?

The Cystoscopy is diagnostic but it can also stretch the Urethra.

At the age of 4 I started having chronic UTIs, my bladder didn't empty (retention). I spent the majority of my childhood on medications for UTIs. From that age to about the age of 12 I went in monthly to be cathed.

Cathing stretches the Urethra, I was even hospitalized one time to have this done.

At the age of 12 I starting seeing another new Urologist and my mother was told not to let any Doctor cath me ever again. Cathing never made a difference for me and as a child I found it quite painful.

I saw a Urologist a few years ago and had an Cystoscopy which came out normal. Upon hearing my history the Urologist he offered to cath me to stretch the Urethra once again.

I guess he didn't listen to me very carefully since I told him stretching the Urethra didn't make any difference

Will stretching the Urethra help you? I don't know but stretching the Urethra for retention can be helpful for some people.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

It was quite painful. I'm wondering if he skipped the anesthetic for the procedure, since it was so rushed. If he did this the first cytoscopy a few years ago, I don't remember any pain during that one. This one hurt going in for the cytoscopy, and then intensely for the dilation. Urethral obstruction, is that what they call it?

It didn't seem to help the stream at first, but it's better now than it has been in a long time.

Comment

A Cystoscopy usually is a quick procedure. My discomfort was less than I expected --- some stinging and pressure. Afterwards I was give (1) antibiotic to avoid an infection.

I drank lots of water afterwards simply due to past experiences with Urologists and the pain that might come afterwards when trying to urinate.

I don't have experience with your diagnosis of Urethral Obstruction as that is not what mine was/is.

If you haven't researched information about Urethral Obstruction I did find this from the Mayo Clinic:
        http://www.mayoclinic.org/ureteral-o...diagnosis.html

Take care...
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Maybe that's the difference. I wasn't expecting much pain at all, because the first time went so smoothly. Surprise! lol

I guess I'm worried it could make me more prone to incontinence later, scarring up the tissues and creating another cause of obstruction, that sort of thing. I've not been able to find any information on that anywhere. But again, I haven't spent much time looking.

In the meantime, it's definitely made things easier. So maybe a good thing he did it.

Comment

A slight correction, the link posted was for ureteral instruction.

Comment

Gah! Obstruction! See how easy that is to do?

Comment

Working...
              X