Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hubby refuses to discuss with doctor - how do I encourage him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hubby refuses to discuss with doctor - how do I encourage him?

Hubby has had IBS symptoms for years but he refuses to talk to a doctor about it. He's developed problems with kidney stones and has had five surgeries for it in the last eight years.

The last week his IBS has turned to horrific constipation that gets so bad it blocks his ability to urinate too. He spent two days in agony to the point he was groaning quite loudly. I'm terrified he's going to make himself worse, but he will not talk to a doctor at all. He's sooooooooooooooo self conscious about anything that has to do with body functions. I keep telling him he'd better get over it because if this continues to progress he'll wind up in the hospital and cause himself more problems.

Does anyone have any advice, anything I can do to convince him he MUST discuss this with a doctor? We've tried to adjust his diet and included a lot of fiber supplements daily, but it's just not doing the trick.

Has he tried Miralax...or it's generic? Used to be Rx, but it's OTC in any drugstore.

It takes a few days to work, but it's effective. It's what they give you to use for a colonoscopy prep, but in much less strength. And it's easy to take because it has no taste, or grittiness. It draws water to the colon and that's why it helps, it's non habit forming.

The generic is much cheaper, and is usually found in the same place as the Miralax, just by a generic name of the drugstore. Buy the smaller size (around $5) until you see if it works...I think that size has about 10 doses in it. Then if it works, it's more economical to buy the larger quantities (amazon sells a generic 90 day supply for $22.)

Hope he finds something to help him.

Comment

A friend of mine's father ended up in the ER because he was so badly constipated. I doubt your hubby would like them to clean him out, so maybe this scenario would prompt him to finally ask his drs. what he needs to do?

He wants to avoid getting a UTI from retention on top of his constipation, too. Getting any infection with MS can make our symptoms worse or throw us into a pseudo or real relapse. And a seemingly 'innocent' UTI can quickly turn into something much more serious. I've gotten sepsis twice from them. One time the sepsis turned into a heart infection. Constipation is not a conversation any of us really want to have with our drs., but there are times you really do have to.

I can share one of my experience with constipation, though. When I was immobile for weeks, the hospital had me on Miralax (mixed in prune juice), senna (laxative), plus Colace (stool softener). Even all that wasn't always enough and then I needed a suppository, too. Just remember to read the ingredient label when you buy the senna & Colace. ... it's easy to overlook the fact that there are generic versions where the senna and Colace (which is dulcusate sodium) are mixed into one tablet. He has to be careful not to end up on the flip side of the coin with diarreah.
      It is a miserable feeling and I hope your hubby finds relief!

Best Wishes,
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about his issues and his unwillingness to seek help. As Kimba mentioned, it can be very serious to be constipated and retain urine.

Bodily functions are never fun to talk about, but it is nothing new or shocking to doctors. There's no hudgement or grossness. They've literally seen it all!

I hope he agrees to see someone soon.

Comment

On the Miralax, or it's generic, if he has not went in two hours..take another dose..repeat as needed.
          Glycerine suppositories will help it not stick. Sorry to be so graphic.
          Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by akafearless View Post
            On the Miralax, or it's generic, if he has not went in two hours..take another dose..repeat as needed.
            Glycerine suppositories will help it not stick. Sorry to be so graphic.
            Good luck.
            And to add to your "graphicness" (don't think that's a word) there the problem of muscle weakness in rectal and anal muscles that was discussed at length on the Ladies Forum titled "Is it really constipation or something else"...here's the thread.

https://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117223

But the real solution is to get him to the dr....maybe the ER if he hasn't gone after trying multiple remedies (btw, the only other remedy I know that I don't think been's mentioned is the Magnesium Citrate liquid they sell at drugstores..not the pills, the liquid solution.) Before there was Miralax, it's what they used to give you before a colonoscopy It tastes awful, but it works fast. If it didn't do the trick in a few hours, I'd have him at the ER being evaluated for a blockage.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
              Colace (which is dulcusate sodium)
              Is it OK to take this daily? Every time I stop I get into trouble but I worry that it's not meant to be taken so frequently. My dr. says fiber but this helps more and frees me to eat what I want and I need to gain weight.

Comment

dyin_mylin,

Just curious as to why you can't also eat more fiber in addition to what you want to eat? Have you tried bulk formers like Metamucil or Citrocel? They are the gentlest. They were what was recommended by my ob/gyn when I was pregnant.

The best way to manage constipation in MS is with diet, a bowel program, and a stool softener or a bulk former (as recommended by your dr.) I was once prescribed polyethylene glycol (aka Miralax, a stool softener, now available OTC) long term when I was on pain medication. Constipation is bad enough for a 'normal' person on some of those meds, then add MS, it was horrible!

Here are a few links for you about recommendations for managing constipation & use of laxatives. Adding a bowel program has been very helpful in managing constipation for me.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ion/index.aspx

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ons/000133.htm

http://www.mymsaa.org/about-ms/symptoms/bowel-problems/

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...-safely?page=2

Best wishes,
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

My pediatrician told my mom to give me a molasses enema

As a last resort before taking me to the hospital when I was little, it worked!!

Comment

I don't think medical people mind hearing about poop

I live with/am related to a bunch of people who work in assorted medical capacities. We have a lot of conversations, some very serious, about poop. This stuff is important, especially when you share a bathroom/want to know why the door is getting pounded on at 5 am.

I've taken that to mean I can have all kinds of direct conversation with my doctors/people who work with them.

I was correct. Not that they were helpful ("oh, well, that's IBS. Have some peppermint tea.") But it's fun to rant to professionals.

I get the impression no one in the medical profession is remotely flustered by a wayward *** or two--say my nurse friends.

Anyway. Talking to doctors about bodily functions is like talking to an auto mechanic about spark plugs. Not particularly personal, maybe interesting, but only if it's broken. So go for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X