Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here is NOT taking an antidepressant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kalliope View Post
    I try to concentrate more on my accomplishments instead of my failures, I do what I can when I can, try to laugh as much as possible, keep busy and don't let my life be all about myself or MS. I have bad days, horrible days and good days, but always hope that tomorrow will be better. Sometimes it is, sometimes not-just like it is for all of us....Who knows, maybe someday I may need to try them again, but till then, I'll laugh when I can and cry when I need to.
    What an inspiring post -- I feel much the same way (and have never been on antidepressants, either, but if I thought they'd help I'd try them). You are a special person. Keep on keeping on!

Comment

Hi,
      I have reduced my AD's to almost taking nothing. Some things I have noticed is.... My apathy is reduced now, meaning I actually care about stuff again!

My creativity is coming back (as an artist I was worried that I was losing it permanently) so I am happy about that.

My skin has cleared up a lot too! The bad news is that I am really sad, weepy etc. I think I just stopped them to see if I could, if it was possible, and how I feel without them. I learned what they took away, and what they gave to me.

I will probably try another AD in a while because I am totally depressed, until then I will be crying and creating art! Thanks for listening, I hope this helps..?
      -Heather

Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.

-Margaret Lee Runbeck

Comment

I AM BAFFLED

[QUOTE=justacowgirl;1427348]I didn't bother quoting mser102's complete narrative (long) but after re reading it again I would like to respond directly.

It is wonderful that you are so able to control your emotions and do not need the help of an anti depressant.
        it has taken years for people to realize that depression can be the manifestation of physical irregularities; in our case f"
        It is not fair to assume that all people can just learn to deal with depression or learn to cope. You cannot cope or learn your way out of ms.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]
        OMG! Thank you Cow Girl for the comments.
        I was absolutely stunned by some of these posts (mainly, mser102). Until 3 years ago, I spent my life as a psychotherapist (masters in clinical social work AND a masters in psychology). My WHOLE ADULT LIFE spent treating children and adults in need or txment. 20 years as I finished my advanced degrees by the time I was 23.

There are a myriad of reasons for taking "antidepressants,"-selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors; selective serotonin re uptake neuropronefren; or the tricyclits. Trauma alters your brain chemistry; there is endogenous/genetic depression; and then there are V-codes, which include parent-child conflict, bereavement, adjustment disorders, etc.

Axis 3 from the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, are the codes for PHYSICAL DISORDERS that cause chemical PX in the brain. Medication, in this case, certainly warrants medication---all of the talk therapy in the world will not fix that.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. On behalf of the millions of people who suffer from this illness, I would ask that comments about changing one's attitude be refrained from.
        [/COLor
        One more thing: PLEASE DO NOT STOP TAKING ANY PSYCHOTROPIC MEDICATION W/O MEDICAL SUPERVISION.

Most of these drugs have a fairly long half life, so you don't notice anything different at 1st. BUT- w/in ex amount of time you can become SERIOUSLY ILL. Benzodiazapines, for example, often cause grand mal seizures when abruptly stopped. Examples of these include--Xanax, Valium,Klonopin, and even Ambien/Lunesta. Ironically, Klonopin is an an anti-epileptic.

I am so exhausted secondary to this correspondence, so I really hope it is readable and makes sense: rolleyes:

Shalom, Suzanne

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
        You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
          How do you manage?
          I'm not on an AD only because I cannot take them (cause PVCs and PACs...ick). So, I use a light box from September until April. I use positive self-talk and change my thinking when it goes south (retraining my mind). I plan to get out to do something almost every day, even if it is just walking the dog. I try to do something for someone else everyday (even if it is just walking the dog, LOL). Exercise is important. Walking releases endorphins which is a "natural" AD.

I hope you're able to find something that works for you. There are many AD's and it can take time to find the right one. But if you go AD free, I suggest putting your own program together to combat depression. Good luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
            I don't take an antidepressant and I never have. Some people do need to take one but medication is not a substitute for therapy. I learned that I don't have to succumb to every emotion just because I feel it and I learned that I don't have to believe every stupid thought I have just because it crosses my mind. I know how to recognize when I'm getting anxious and how to short circuit it.

Unfortunately too many people learn how to become helpless victims of their emotions or helpless victims of circumstances. Medications don't help people to unlearn learned behaviors. And I think that's one contributing reason why some people who do take an antidepressant are still depressed - they keep repeating the same destructive thought patterns. Anxiety works the same way. So I think if someone can't tell if an antidepressant is helping or not it might be because the problem is more destructive thinking than it is a "chemical imbalance".

So how do people manage without an antidepressant? I think we manage by learning how to control our emotions instead of letting our emotions control us.

And I think that's the key even for people who do need an antidepressant to keep things in balance. The medicine doesn't "fix" them but it helps to set a friendlier "internal environment" in which they can learn to control their emotions and apply cognitive behavioral strategies. When they have already learned good thinking and coping strategies, that could be a good time to try getting off an antidepressant.

Sadly, a lot of people think that because depression isn't
            their "fault" they don't think they should have to put any work into overcoming it.

Just stopping an antidepressant while continuing the same learned destructive thinking is a sure formula for failure! I think that if the "thinking problems" an unrealistic expectations are cleared up first, that can help be a "safety net" while they see if the can function without an antidepressant.

Depression is not about succumbing to an emotion (the "boo hoo's"). It runs FAR deeper than that. TRUST ME, I have always been very good at suppressing and hiding my emotions, but CLINICAL Depression was something I needed medication for.
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

it is possible

I am not on ADs...anymore. I was, for years, pre-MS. My depression was crippling. So I do believe they can help.

That said, my experience was that the doctors just kept adding to them. (Treatment resistant, they said.)

At the end, I was taking 9 different antidepressant, antianxiety, mood stabilizer drugs. The lows weren't as low, but I just got more depressed, because I couldn't feel any happy moments through the fog. The side effects were so bad I could barely drive and I gained 70 pounds in 4 years.

I finally just got PO'd at all of it & decided I'd rather be me again, even if it wasn't pretty. I quit the meds, completely, cold turkey.

6 months later, MS hit, but I didn't feel the need for ADs. I'm doing fine. Yeah, I have lower moods than most people do, I think, but with counseling & faith, I manage through those. And I'm not so numb anymore...I can feel happiness in little things.

I lost 60 pounds last year, and started doing the things known to regulate brain chemistry. ..exercise, Vit B & D supplements, diet, and interaction with people who love me.

I do think that, like most illness, depression can heal or go into remission. I'm not suggesting anyone do what I did. But if you're wondering if it's possible for someone to go off ADs without ending up in the psych ward, yeah it is.

But just because *someone can* doesn't mean *everyone should*.

Sometimes I wonder if my depression was organic & caused by un-dxed MS...and it just went into remission? Just like my L'Hermittes sign went away? Or maybe finally ending & dealing with a toxic situation helped me heal?

If I ever end up in a place that dark again, I would consider meds again, but I'd be a stronger self-advocate...9 drugs should have been a wakeup call that something wasn't working.

Anyway, the point of that ramble was to say, no matter your choice of treatment, I think there is hope.

Comment

Working...
              X