Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here is NOT taking an antidepressant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
    I don't take an antidepressant and I never have. Some people do need to take one but medication is not a substitute for therapy. I learned that I don't have to succumb to every emotion just because I feel it and I learned that I don't have to believe every stupid thought I have just because it crosses my mind. I know how to recognize when I'm getting anxious and how to short circuit it.

Unfortunately too many people learn how to become helpless victims of their emotions or helpless victims of circumstances. Medications don't help people to unlearn learned behaviors. And I think that's one contributing reason why some people who do take an antidepressant are still depressed - they keep repeating the same destructive thought patterns. Anxiety works the same way. So I think if someone can't tell if an antidepressant is helping or not it might be because the problem is more destructive thinking than it is a "chemical imbalance".

So how do people manage without an antidepressant? I think we manage by learning how to control our emotions instead of letting our emotions control us.

And I think that's the key even for people who do need an antidepressant to keep things in balance. The medicine doesn't "fix" them but it helps to set a friendlier "internal environment" in which they can learn to control their emotions and apply cognitive behavioral strategies. When they have already learned good thinking and coping strategies, that could be a good time to try getting off an antidepressant.

Sadly, a lot of people think that because depression isn't
    their "fault" they don't think they should have to put any work into overcoming it.

Just stopping an antidepressant while continuing the same learned destructive thinking is a sure formula for failure! I think that if the "thinking problems" an unrealistic expectations are cleared up first, that can help be a "safety net" while they see if the can function without an antidepressant.
    You have given me a lot of information to process! Thank you, and everyone else for sharing their points of view.

I have been gobbling my ADs for years now without a second thought. I realize they move my seratonin to where it needs to be, but how do you ever know when the tank is full? Can you ever overflow it? Perhaps I should have fielded these questions to my doc some time ago...
    Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope View Post
      I was on 2 different antidepressants at different times over the years but each for only a short period of time. I was put on both of them to help with pain but the first one didn't help at all so I got off it and the other one I was taken off because the side affects from it was dangerous for me, so for years I haven't been on one or felt like I needed to be. Honestly, I can only say what helps me. MS has put me and my family through so much, but somehow I'm still here.

I surround myself with those that love me and have stuck by me. I've read that many say "why me" (I have a family member that says "why did this have to happen to you!") I told them-why not me? I'm not any more special than anyone else. I won't say that as my MS gets worse and I have to learn to be the new me all over again (and again) that I don't get depressed. I need my time and deserve to say this sucks and have a good cry, but I love God, my incredible husband, our family and friends. I draw strength from them. They deserve the best from me and I deserve the best from myself.

Sometimes when I cry, its because I miss the person I used to be. The person that could do things for herself, and those around her, work, drive-I really miss driving. I would be her again in a heart beat, but that isn't going to happen. Now there are so many doctors, medicines, medical equipment, the pain and problems MS causes; who wouldn't get depressed but then I remember that there are so many worse off than me, not just those with MS but those suffering in other ways too. I guess I draw strength from them too because a lot of them still have hope even though they're going through unimaginable things.

Some may read this and say I'm not being realistic. I've actually been told since I have MS I have to be depressed. I don't see that as being true. I've almost died twice, my husband has been asked about donating my organs at one time and at another been told to put me in a home but here I am. I'm at home, my family home. I try to concentrate more on my accomplishments instead of my failures, I do what I can when I can, try to laugh as much as possible, keep busy and don't let my life be all about myself or MS. I have bad days, horrible days and good days, but always hope that tomorrow will be better. Sometimes it is, sometimes not-just like it is for all of us.

I think if a person needs an antidepressant than they should talk to their doctor. I know people who's lives are better because of them, I'm just not one of them. Who knows, maybe someday I may need to try them again, but till then, I'll laugh when I can and cry when I need to.
      I like your post. It reminds me of a conversation I once had with a very wise coworker (who actually seemed like a radical at the tim) when she told me she did not think humans were flawed if they weren't HAPPY, HAPPY every day. Of course she is right. Why do we feel like we are failures if we don't have a big sloppy grin on our face? This realization actually liberated me! I am human, therefor I feel.
      Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
        I know how to deal with anxiety and stress, but even though I can" manage" my feelings, I still need in antidepressant. I wish I did not, and I tried not to take one, but I needed it.
        The point where I resumed my ADs is when I found myself yelling at my daughter about what I now look back at, and can't even remember what! Must not have been that bad, then. The bottom line is such a great kid and has never done anything to make me all that upset. In yelling at her, I am also training her to be a yeller when she becomes a mother. I don't want to do that to her or her kids!

That, for me, is the point when the positives of taking an AD outweigh the negatives. I wish I did have coping skills that could replace drugging myself, but sometimes, I just don't.
        Tawanda

Comment

What is depression?

Originally posted by justacowgirl View Post
          I didn't bother quoting mser102's complete narrative (long) but after re reading it again I would like to respond directly.

It is wonderful that you are so able to control your emotions and do not need the help of an anti depressant.

Unfortunately for many people it is not that simple. Your statements do not account for depression being a mental illness. Although you refer to a "chemical imbalance" you seem to have a rather antiquated view of what a mental illness is.

Absolutely it is important to work with a professional to help to learn good coping skills. But, it has taken years for people to realize that depression can be the manifestation of physical irregularities; in our case frankly it can be short circuits in the brain not just feeling bad because you have ms.

Additionally there are many biological issues that can trigger depression much different than "chemical imbalance."

It is not fair to assume that all people can just learn to deal with depression or learn to cope. You cannot cope or learn your way out of ms.

Anti depressants and therapy can save people's life. Suicide is a real and mental illness is real. People with mental illness living horrible lives without treatment are real.

Don't want to hi jack this thread but we need to accept the realities of what can cause mental illness including depression.

J

Thanks for your response to this thread. There is a lot of misinformation out there about depression, especially about what it is not.

Depression is the opposite of vitality.

When we can overcome this misconception about mental illness as a weakness or something we can control, our society will be all the better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnybaby View Post
            When we can overcome this misconception about mental illness as a weakness or something we can control, our society will be all the better for it.
            I think it's important to point out again that the post that started this thread isn't about depression - what it is or isn't - or about mental illness. It's about antidepressants and what people who don't take them do, with additional comments/questions about getting on and off of antidepressants and how to know if they're helping. That's a different subject.

I appreciate that some posters didn't want to hijack the thread but that's pretty much what changing the subject is. And it isn't at all fair to turn a thread into something it isn't and then find fault with anyone who didn't also go off topic and say what they thought someone should have said about the off topic issue.

The original post was a good one and raised good questions. And I think the people to whom the question was addressed - people who don't take an antidepressant - provided some good on topic experiences and viewpoints. Isn't that what patients helping patients message boards are for?

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
              I don't take an antidepressant and I never have. Some people do need to take one but medication is not a substitute for therapy.

So how do people manage without an antidepressant? I think we manage by learning how to control our emotions instead of letting our emotions control us.

When they have already learned good thinking and coping strategies, that could be a good time to try getting off an antidepressant.

Sadly, a lot of people think that because depression isn't
              their "fault" they don't think they should have to put any work into overcoming it.

Just stopping an antidepressant while continuing the same learned destructive thinking is a sure formula for failure! I think that if the "thinking problems" an unrealistic expectations are cleared up first, that can help be a "safety net" while they see if the can function without an antidepressant.
              While not trying to high jack this thread; and I won't respond again; the thread is about who does not take anti depressants.

I was responding to your above statements that do not address the fact that a mental illness cannot be managed by "learning to control our emotions."

Telling someone that once they have learned " good thinking and coping skills" they should get off antidepressants is wrong for people with a mental illness. When we start to feel good we stay on our meds. Maybe forever.

People come here for help. Opinion is different than fact. I believe your opinions are expressed as facts; are incorrect and perpetuate a wrong view of depression as a mental illness.

All done.
              Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

I've never taken an antidepressant.

Learned a lot about them and related issues from this thread, thanks OP!

My only comment, from discussions with friends... They seem to be offered like M&Ms these days. First choice, without any thoughts, quick and easy, next in queue please?

Any introspection, reflection or dialogue regarding meaning in life (which could yield benefits) seems to be put aside for instant "Sandoz" (yeah, I'm that old ;-)

One pill makes you larger.....

Jer

Comment

Me!

I've never taken an antidepressant, but I'm a contented person by nature. I'm not a super cheerful person, but I'm definitely a glass-is-half-full kind of girl.

My mom, on the other hand, also has MS and took antidepressants for a while after her DX. She's much more cheerful than I am but also much more easily overwhelmed than I am.

I don't know what I'm trying to say, but I think happiness in general is a constitutional kind of thing and inherent happiness, or lack thereof, determines if we need help with dealing with our crappy-*** DX.
                  Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I have not taken an AD at any point in my life, but if an AD became necessary, I would take one.
                    Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
                    Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
                    Gilenya since 11/2014.
                    Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
                    EDSS 3.

Comment

I am not medically deemed depressed. But there are times I do get depressed. As my Neuro and PCP said 'almost everyone at some time will get depressed, illness related or not.'

A few years ago I had one heck of a flare, I got so darned depressed. Neuro put me on Meds. I could not tolerate them, side effects were worse than the depression. The PA at my Neuros office told me that if I could not control my depression a little, at least, then I would have to be hospitalized. That shocked the heck out of me. I wasn't sure what type of hospital she was talking about. That is how bad I was.

I stewed for a couple of days, hating the PA for being so harsh. Then I was alone and bored. I started to listen to my favorite CDs. Made me feel a little bdetter. As I listened to them over and over I turned the volume up, and up, and up. I stared singing along. I got louder and louder. I was doing this for a few hours. Good thing my windows were closed. The music was so loud it vibrated things off shelves. I did not hear my daughter and grand daughter come in. They shut the music off. I do not cry, I think I want to be tough. But I sure did when the music was turned off. I felt better.

Now when I feel blue, I go to my favorite CDs and turn them on loud and sing along. Seems to help me. My Neuro told some of his patients to try this, before he put them on meds. For some it worked. This happened about 5 years ago. And I still play my CDs.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
                      SgrammieD

Comment

I am not taking an antidepressant but, I was just diagnosed only 4 months ago.

Comment

I recently heard "You don't get MS until you GET MS.

So it's so interesting to hear people on this forum who have never been on an antidepressant talk about depression. Would you ever try to talk about someone else's MS experience or hold an opinion about their choice of DMD?

Taking a DMD doesn't mean not looking at lifestyle choices and the same goes for depression but why would anyone think they can comment responsibly on another person's therapy.

This forum gives a lot of help for people asking about dmd's and getting off and trying another but no one ever holds judgment concerning the ultimate choice. And many who don't use a dmd still refrain from making universal comments.

So here we are, back to square one. Just put another disease name in place. If you've never taken an AD, great! Just remember what you've gone through getting others to understand you and your MS.

It's completely irresponsible to comment on another person's therapy and if the OP didn't realize this, it should be mentioned that we are not doctors and can't and shouldn't give medical advice.

Comment

no antidepressants for me!

Any time anyone has tried to give me one up-front or sneak one into me, I've had a bad reaction - I'm often depressed, but drugs aren't the solution for me.

Comment

Nope

I've never taken an anti-depressant, mainly because I've never felt the need for one. I'm basically an optimistic person, and while I sometimes start to feel sad about all the things I can no longer do, I think that's just me going through a natural grieving process, not depression. If there were a physiological cause for depression, I would definitely consider it.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

RRMS, dx May 2013, on Gilenya from May '13 - Aug. 14
                              Currently following Dr. Jelinek's OMS (Overcoming MS) plan

Comment

I'll try anything that will help

Therapy has been incredibly helpful to me. I was lucky to find a therapist who is experienced in helping people with chronic/serious health issues. She's guided me away from the sense of powerlessness that bowled me over when I was diagnosed and towards becoming my own medical/professional/emotional advocate. Feeling more powerful is a pretty good antidepressant.

The fact that MS takes so much strength to manage has--in a weirdly good way--forced me to get off my rear and jettison some of the emotional baggage I was already carrying when this lovely disease descended onto my life.

Exercise, when I have the energy, delivers a lovely dose of feel-good chemicals. I just have to shut the door on any regrets about not being able to go out dancing anymore.

Guided imagery and meditation, when there's time to sit still, help alleviate stress (though a large inheritance would be more effective).

I was surprised and a little defensive when my neurologist suggested I try Effexor to help with fatigue and sleep issues, but I'm glad I agreed to try it. There haven't been ahy side effects (not something I can say about the other drugs I take for MS symptoms). And, honestly, besides boosting my energy a bit, it has made it easier to keep the moments of anger, frustration, and sadness that MS brings from knitting together into a blanket of depression.

I don't think any method I use to improve my post-diagnosis life indicates that I suffer from mental illness. Those lesions, however, are proof that there certainly is something unhealthy happening in my brain and brain stem.

So I'm grateful for any tool that will make it possible for me to have both MS and happiness in my life. I don't care that one of the tools is shaped like a pill. I just care that it works.

Comment

Working...
                                X