Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here is NOT taking an antidepressant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who here is NOT taking an antidepressant?

How do you manage? There is so much advise about getting on ADs and so little information about getting off of the suckers. They remind me of DMDs. Are they helping or not? Hard to know, but too scary to get off of them just in case they are helping. It might just be the placebo effect, but even giving that up might be dangerous!
    Tawanda

I don't take an antidepressant and I never have. Some people do need to take one but medication is not a substitute for therapy. I learned that I don't have to succumb to every emotion just because I feel it and I learned that I don't have to believe every stupid thought I have just because it crosses my mind. I know how to recognize when I'm getting anxious and how to short circuit it.

Unfortunately too many people learn how to become helpless victims of their emotions or helpless victims of circumstances. Medications don't help people to unlearn learned behaviors. And I think that's one contributing reason why some people who do take an antidepressant are still depressed - they keep repeating the same destructive thought patterns. Anxiety works the same way. So I think if someone can't tell if an antidepressant is helping or not it might be because the problem is more destructive thinking than it is a "chemical imbalance".

So how do people manage without an antidepressant? I think we manage by learning how to control our emotions instead of letting our emotions control us.

And I think that's the key even for people who do need an antidepressant to keep things in balance. The medicine doesn't "fix" them but it helps to set a friendlier "internal environment" in which they can learn to control their emotions and apply cognitive behavioral strategies. When they have already learned good thinking and coping strategies, that could be a good time to try getting off an antidepressant.

Sadly, a lot of people think that because depression isn't
    their "fault" they don't think they should have to put any work into overcoming it.

Just stopping an antidepressant while continuing the same learned destructive thinking is a sure formula for failure! I think that if the "thinking problems" an unrealistic expectations are cleared up first, that can help be a "safety net" while they see if the can function without an antidepressant.

Comment

I'm hoping to hear from those not taking them... but it is helping me to take them ... a lot.
      Karen

Comment

I am not. Before dx, I used to take a fairly low dose of Prozac, then stopped on the advice of my PCP, who thought it probably was not doing much for me on the dose I was on. I thought that I would have to go back on after starting an interferon drug, but in terms of depression I actually feel a whole lot better on this drug than before. I don't know if the drug is helping to prevent damage and maybe some healing is happening, no idea. But I wake up with a much rosier outlook on life now. I won't hesitate to go back on an antidepressant though if that changes. I thought they helped a lot when I was using them, regardless of my PCPs opinion (before my dx).

Comment

I tried them several years ago.

I was on 2 different antidepressants at different times over the years but each for only a short period of time. I was put on both of them to help with pain but the first one didn't help at all so I got off it and the other one I was taken off because the side affects from it was dangerous for me, so for years I haven't been on one or felt like I needed to be. Honestly, I can only say what helps me. MS has put me and my family through so much, but somehow I'm still here.

I surround myself with those that love me and have stuck by me. I've read that many say "why me" (I have a family member that says "why did this have to happen to you!") I told them-why not me? I'm not any more special than anyone else. I won't say that as my MS gets worse and I have to learn to be the new me all over again (and again) that I don't get depressed. I need my time and deserve to say this sucks and have a good cry, but I love God, my incredible husband, our family and friends. I draw strength from them. They deserve the best from me and I deserve the best from myself.

Sometimes when I cry, its because I miss the person I used to be. The person that could do things for herself, and those around her, work, drive-I really miss driving. I would be her again in a heart beat, but that isn't going to happen. Now there are so many doctors, medicines, medical equipment, the pain and problems MS causes; who wouldn't get depressed but then I remember that there are so many worse off than me, not just those with MS but those suffering in other ways too. I guess I draw strength from them too because a lot of them still have hope even though they're going through unimaginable things.

Some may read this and say I'm not being realistic. I've actually been told since I have MS I have to be depressed. I don't see that as being true. I've almost died twice, my husband has been asked about donating my organs at one time and at another been told to put me in a home but here I am. I'm at home, my family home. I try to concentrate more on my accomplishments instead of my failures, I do what I can when I can, try to laugh as much as possible, keep busy and don't let my life be all about myself or MS. I have bad days, horrible days and good days, but always hope that tomorrow will be better. Sometimes it is, sometimes not-just like it is for all of us.

I think if a person needs an antidepressant than they should talk to their doctor. I know people who's lives are better because of them, I'm just not one of them. Who knows, maybe someday I may need to try them again, but till then, I'll laugh when I can and cry when I need to.

Comment

I've never been on an AD. I think if there was an AC (Anti-Crabby) it would suit me better!
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I am not taking an antidepressant. I have tried several and the medication makes me sick. I just cant take them. I have a therapist that deals with chronic disease, sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't.

I try to eat right and get out when I can. Visit with people every once in awhile, and I do have some in home hobbies.

So, I guess I just try to deal with it the best I can and if all else fails curl up with the dog and sleep it off...sometimes for a few days.
              Katie
              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
              "My MS is a Journey for One."
              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I know how to deal with anxiety and stress, but even though I can" manage" my feelings, I still need in antidepressant. I wish I did not, and I tried not to take one, but I needed it.
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I don't use an Antidepressant and have not in quite a few years.

Going through the process of Psychotherapy I learned any depression I had was not due to MS.

I learned the reason behind my depression and learned new coping skills and changed thought processes. Once I was able to do that my depression was gone.
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I didn't bother quoting mser102's complete narrative (long) but after re reading it again I would like to respond directly.

It is wonderful that you are so able to control your emotions and do not need the help of an anti depressant.

Unfortunately for many people it is not that simple. Your statements do not account for depression being a mental illness. Although you refer to a "chemical imbalance" you seem to have a rather antiquated view of what a mental illness is.

Absolutely it is important to work with a professional to help to learn good coping skills. But, it has taken years for people to realize that depression can be the manifestation of physical irregularities; in our case frankly it can be short circuits in the brain not just feeling bad because you have ms.

Additionally there are many biological issues that can trigger depression much different than "chemical imbalance."

It is not fair to assume that all people can just learn to deal with depression or learn to cope. You cannot cope or learn your way out of ms.

Anti depressants and therapy can save people's life. Suicide is a real and mental illness is real. People with mental illness living horrible lives without treatment are real.

Don't want to hi jack this thread but we need to accept the realities of what can cause mental illness including depression.

J
                    Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

I was on Wellbutrin when I first started having symptoms but have not in about a year or so.

My social worker and neuro both stressed that MS and brain lesions can definitely trigger mental health issues so there is absolutely no shame in asking for medication. Right now I don't need one but when I feel I do, I will get some. They both said it was SO important for people with MS to keep their mental health in check since we all know how horrible mood/stress/etc. can affect our physical symptoms.

Comment

justacowgirl, thank you for your comment about depression having a variety of causes, many that can't simply be unlearned. You are spot on, and your counterpoint is vital to this thread. Just because one person can unlearn negative thought processes to "cure" depression doesn't mean everyone can or should, so again, thank you.

As to the question at hand: I am not on antidepressants and I am doing fine. So far so good, anyhow!

I took one for a few months while I was coping with my diagnosis, but otherwise do not need them. It really helped me in the short term because I was able to break destructive thought patterns regarding the disease and what it means for me. The meds helped me change from staring at the wall in a daze to feeling like me again as I came off of them. For me, they were brilliant.

As for coming off of them, I'd advise making a plan with the doctor who prescribed them, and also with the therapist if there is one, regarding what to expect/how to get them started up again if need be. That way, if you realize the depression or anxiety is coming back, you can get smoothly back on meds and reassess with the doctor.

My family has a long history of mental illness from garden variety depression to bipolar disorder to schizophrenia. My mother is on disability for mental illness, and the family joke is that I got all of their seratonin. I just don't tend towards depression, something I am very grateful for. That doesn't mean other people don't have genuine physical or mental (or both!) reasons for needing antidepressants.

Everybody, and every body, is different. Some people need antidepressants for a short time while they work things out. Some people need them a longer time while they work things out. Some people need them forever because of how their brain or body is wired. Every one of these possibilities is real and legitimate, and with proper medical care (including mental health care, when needed) can and should be handled. Investigate if it's chemical, physical, situational, or what, and do what is best for you.

But again, the question at hand: no, not everyone with MS needs antidepressants, but ultimately it is about what keeps you healthy and happy, not what works for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by justacowgirl View Post
                          Your statements do not account for depression being a mental illness.J
                          That's because the original question - this whole thread - isn't about depression as a mental illness. And apparently none of the other posters addressed the question as a discussion of mental illness either. That's a completely different topic. So it makes sense that my answer doesn't address an issue that the thread isn't even about.

Comment

I am not taking an antidepressant, never have. My doctor has offered them to me several times but I refused. I just don't feel like I need it. I'm on enough meds already and I'm really not depressed. I have a wonderful husband and children and my faith helps.

Comment

I have not taken an antidepressant because I have not tested as clinically depressed. Any physician worth his/her salt should give you a bedside paper test to determine if you meet the criteria for an antidepressant. If you do, you are diagnosed as clinically depressed. Unless its a psychiatrist who is diagnosing you. They have their own determinations. But PCPs have general guidelines to follow, at least in NC. I hope that is that way in other states.

Since depression is a mental illness, people without that mental illness should not be treated for it, and those who truly do, should.

Lisa
                              Moderation Team
                              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                              Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                              X