MS, depression, latuda/abilify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS, depression, latuda/abilify

Most know by now that antipsychotics (like abilify - oy, that silly commercial) are often added to an antidepressant to boost the effect. I didn't have luck w/ abilify but latuda greatly helped in the past. My pdoc took me off it when I got the ms diagnosis. He gave no specific reason just a general discomfort with so many meds. I know there can be extrapyrimidal effects but worse for ms'ers? I'll ask my neuro when I see her in october.

I was wondering if anyone's doctor has ever mentioned any danger of using AP's. My first mri last year sucked: over 75 lesions and 25 black holes and some brain atrophy so I do worry abt what I send up there :-) but the depression is the worst I'm dealing with right now. My ms symptoms are minimal in comparison and my mri's are looking 'better'. And full mobility, but I know I am a good candidate for SPMS. Don't want to speed it up but do want to feel better mentally.

Also does anyone know of any forums that address bipolar and ms?

thanks,
    Sard

sardi_g: We don't have a certain place set up just for MS and bipolar, probably should, and I will talk to one of the administrators about that, but for now, I would post a thread with that as the header...MS and Bipolar Disorder. Also, I would post that in the Related Disorders as it has plenty of MS and this and that in there. I am sure you will get lost of replies that way for answers specific to BPD.

I do not have bipolar, but have taken an antipsychotic to help me sleep. I was having such a hard time sleeping we went through everything so we finally tried Seroquel. It left me with some pretty bad extrapyrimidal side effects. I cannot stop moving my tongue. It moves constantly and makes my throat move constantly. They say there is really nothing they can do about it.

I look forward to seeing your thread about bipolar disorder. I have a friend who has both that and MS. I will show it to her.

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Oh I'm really sorry to hear about those effects. I guess the cogentin wasn't an option? The atypicasl are said to have a lesser chance of causing eps but then wiki says there are studies refuting that. Boy, who knows.

Thanks for the advice re posting on BP. I noticed that it was called related diseases and listed them specifically and while is there is a comorbid aspect to the ms and bp, I wasn't sure if it belonged there, but I'll look there next time I have a question.

Thanks again and take care,
      Sard

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
        sardi_g: We don't have a certain place set up just for MS and bipolar, probably should, and I will talk to one of the administrators about that, but for now, I would post a thread with that as the header...MS and Bipolar Disorder.
        Lisa/22cyclist, I like the idea. It might be a bit better for a subforum to be for MS and Mental Illness. I know many MSers suffer from depression or anxiety, or any number of other mental illnesses that aren't bipolar disorder.

Good thinking!

Comment

I have schizoaffective disorder (bipolar and schizophrenia) and am on Haldol and Geodon. I have never been told they are more risky because I have MS. The doctors are usually just happy I'm being treated and am med compliant. If they really help you, I'd stay on them.
          With love, jade.
          Schizoaffective Disorder 2001, RRMS 2005, Copaxone 6 yrs, Tecfidera 6 mths, Copaxone again.
          "God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God."
          - Romans 8:28

Comment

Another with Bipolar & MS

Sardi:

I too have bipolar & MS. I'm on Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Lamictal & Latuda. I did notice some increase in tremors when I first started Latuda, but these have subsided. Latuda has really helped me, but the $700 for 30 day supply is ridiculous. My doctor has been very good in giving me samples and I've sent in an application to Sunovion for patient assistance.

Don't know how many of us are out there with BP & MS,
            but I'd like to see a forum for us as well.
            Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
            It's already tomorrow in Australia" - Charles Schultz

Comment

I'm wondering. Does this forum not already cover what you are looking for?

~ Faith
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Wow

I feel very fortunate after reading this thread. Thanks for the grounding.
                ---------------
                "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Comment

I too have Bipolar 1 and RRMS. Not good. Just increased the Latuda but had to go off welbutrin because of anxiety. I'm one that wants more answers.....now. I want to understand it all. This alone, because sometimes there are no clear answers, drives me into depression? For instance right now I'm isolating very bad. Because of anxiety I am unable to work and the thought of leaving the house is too much most days. I do have Lorazapam and clonazepam to take as needed. Sometimes need it just to go to Dr. I really miss my job and want to get back but can't go there without anxiety attack. Weird. I used to love my job, co workers and customers so much. My husband is going to take me there this evening when it's less crowded and walk me through to try to get used to it again. This didn't go too well last wk. but I'll keep trying. Goal to be back to wk. by end of mo. T.

Comment

There are so many medical options for our mood problems it can be both good and bad. I hope the latuda helps and your mood and anxiety improve!

Comment

Working...
                    X