Avonex & Hair Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex & Hair Loss

Hello all. I am in my 8th week of Avonex and tolerating it well overall. So happy to have graduated to the pen a few weeks ago. Last week I began to notice a fair amount of hair loss. I see in the side effects it has been reported in 4% of patients. Has anyone else had hair loss? I got a vitamin supplement today to see if that will slow or reduce the hair loss. It is not enough yet to make me want to get off the Avonex, because I am tolerating it well other than this. Just wondered if anyone had any helpful tips. My follow-up is in a few weeks. Maybe my nuero will have some advice as well.

Thx!

Ella

Hi Ella,
    I'm on my 3rd week of Avonex and also tolerating it fairly well. My dr warned me of possible hair loss and suggested Rogaine as needed. I'm sad to see it starting with you after this many doses. I was hoping to avoid it and was pleased that it didn't happened yet. I had some hair loss when I was on Copaxone. Please keep us updated.
    Katherine

Comment

Hi Ella,

This won't stop your hair loss, but you may have some luck slowing down the amount you loose by using a non-sulfate shampoo.

Wishing you the best and let us know if you find something that helps!
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I am sure your hair loss is due to the side effects of your medication. I would like to tell you that the hair extensions cost are quite reasonable now and you can use them for your hair.

Comment

For a lot of people the hair loss is just kind of an "adjustment" reaction and it will stop after awhile and the hair will grow back in. That's what happened to me with every injectible I was on and what most people on message boards seem to be saying. For a few people the hair loss is ongoing so some of the suggestions from people with the same trouble might be helpful.

Comment

avonex and hair loss

Hey all. Just an update. Hair loss still but about 80% less that what it was falling out at for the past month. My excellent nuero recommended a vitamin cocktail of: vitamin E, biotin, zinc, and selenium- all twice a day. I am still losing hair but after 3 weeks of the vitamin cocktail it has reduced by 80%. I think I lost about 30-40% of my hair overall prior to the vitamins. I believe part of the betterment is that my body is getting used to the Avonex, but I think the vitamin cocktail has been a significant help as well. My nuero is great and was very understanding of my stress over the side effect.

Just thought I would pass along my luck with the vitamins.

Ella

Comment

Great advice Ella! My dermatologist recommended biotin as well. I was tested for deficiencies, and was very vitamin D deficient. After getting my level up, hair growth improved. I now have to shave my legs again.
              My hair is still very thin, but I am menopausal too.

Comment

Working...
              X