Leg Pain Symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg Pain Symptoms

Hello all. I wanted to ask about leg pain and the progression. It seems that every time I try and search the net I get answers like leg pain associated to MS and not actual answers or symptoms. My question is how did it all start for some of you. I get pain from about my hip to my knee. It is pretty sharp and comes and goes from one leg to the other. It only lasts for about a minute and comes and goes at will. I am fairly new to MS and I am trying to figure all this out. I almost feel like a hypercondriac trying to figure things out like what is associated with what and if this is a symptom at all. I can tell you that I haven't done anything strenuous or out of the ordinary. I do have some muscle twitches at random that last for a few moments but from some of the post I have read I don't get the burning just stabbing pain. Thanks in advance for any responses.

It seems you are referring to these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresthesia

It is a bit to read, but it sure falls in there with what you describe. I sure have 'um, too! fed

Comment

Tingling and numbness both very common sx of MS aka as Parasthesia

Seems paresthesia! For that, you can try mini meditation - try closing your eyes and just allow your thoughts to drift for a little while -– as little as 5 minutes can be helpful. Furthermore, there are a couple of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) approaches that have helped some people with their paresthesias; Biofeedback is said by some people to really help MS sensory symptoms, acupuncture helps. Also low levels of vitamin B12, a deficiency that is more common in people with MS, could cause similar symptoms. You may want to look into getting this level checked, just to be sure. You can also try a Dietary Approach. Paleo diet seems to work with most MSers. Hope it helps!
      Andrea.G.Wolford

Comment

Hey gp,

I am sort of in the same boat. I have pain that felt like my hips were shooting out of my sockets and down my thighs. The pain was before my DX but seems to be part of it. I would just be walking around my store(x grocery mgr) and I would almost fall in pain.

That was over 2 years ago and I have not gotten a good explanation from any dr. I still have this issue today and really can be a pain! lol

Good luck, I hope you find the answers you are looking for!
        Leave the Heat and Stress for the birds!

Comment

Was intermittent, now constant

I've had intermittent leg pain off and on for several years. It was usually manageable and would fade out after a day or two. It used to be mostly in my left calf, and to some degree in my left thigh. In those days I would describe more as "discomfort" and tightness rather than a really intense pain.

In the past few months the pain in my thigh has become almost constant, and much more severe. When I am up and about in the daytime, it's still there but I think I am able to sort of push it out of my mind, although it never entirely goes away.

At night the pain is either more extreme or else I am just more aware of it. Very hard to block out when you are just lying there and it goes for hours.

For me, this is a burning sensation that feels deep within my leg. Rubbing it doesn't make any difference, nor does a heating pad. Pain is considerably worse after physical exertion.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what did you do about it?

I don't have medical insurance at this point so I need to stick with stuff that is OTC or cheap.

Thank you!

Comment

I have spasticity in my legs. I have pain associated with that. It is sometimes mild but on days that I work hard it is killer! I find that I must keep moving regardless of the pain and must take baclofen on a regular schedule or I can't move!

Don't know how to help but encourage you to talk to your doc; pain is definitely a part of ms.

J
            Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Thanks so much, justacowgirl!

I am eagerly awaiting 2014 so that I can hopefully get some medical care going again. If so, I will definitely take this up with a doctor.

Comment

I know what you mean. I am also new to all of this and my first real symptom that led to where I am at now was sharp pain in my left leg that felt as if my leg was broken if I moved it in certain directions. That seemed to lead to the leg going numb, then both legs would go numb, and then it was my whole body. Finally scared me enough to go to a doctor. Since then I have had many different symptoms where some days I feel great with only cramps and spasms that alternate all over, and other days I can barely walk because my legs ache so much and are too weak. The left leg pain however, is always still there and getting worse. It also is from my hip to my knee and I am assuming it is the sciatic nerve. I finally had to have my husband start putting on my sock for me on that foot because I can't get it up to my hands anymore, no matter what position I am in.

I wish you luck in finding out what your pain is from and if you can do anything about it.

Comment

Working...
                X