Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever have MRI where back of head burned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever have MRI where back of head burned?

Just had a two hour MRI last night and the last hour of it, every time the machine went on it felt like painful burning of the back of my head.

Today my scalp is still sore and tender there like a sunburn.

Anyone else have this happen? Is there anything I can do to avoid that unpleasantness in the future?

Thank you for reading this, and for any replies.

During MRIs, I often feel discomfort at the back of my head for laying my big head so long on a hard surface. But not burning or anything related to the machine's operations.

Could there have been some metal back there reacting to the magnet? A bobby pin or something?

Comment

Thank you for your reply! No, no pin, but I do

Use hair dye, I wonder if there are iron oxides in that, that would cause the problem?

Today there is a red mark from my neck on up to the spot my head was lying on the machine, and it feels like a mild sunburn. All I can figure is maybe it was my semipermanent hair dye.

Comment

Originally posted by MSLorrieL View Post
        Use hair dye, I wonder if there are iron oxides in that, that would cause the problem?
        Never heard of this and would be something you'd be asked prior to getting an MRI if there was a known problem with semi-permanent hair dyes.

I hope whatever it was caused by never happens again & I'd report the problem you had to both the place that did your MRI & your ordering Dr.

Best wishes,
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Odd but who knows?

That's odd, but who knows what can happen.

I've had numerous MRI; one really bad one which did grow bacteria (culture) which seems to be resistant to Macrobid, but okay with Cipro, which I'm on now.

I never did have a fever (????) don't know why.. My do said the urine was loaded with bacteria and more red and white blood cells than could be counted. There was blood in the urine (not seen visually). The UTI has responded to the Cipro, but long term we'll see if it stays that way.

Just want you to know that Cipro and Macrobid can cause side effects of aching and nausea. The med for the pain/urgency (usually a pyridium type med) definitely causes nausea and even stomach irritation). That is not all that unusual.

Please remember to take the antibiotic with food. Bread, crackers or anything you can think of helps.

I am totally sympathetic believe me. I think I am much more prone to UTI's with MS, though I've had them prior to my dx. Just not many.

Good Luck, Diane
          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Unusual, but...

I've not had that, but two yrs ago when I had my MRI and it was over I found a blonde hair pin on the sheet they cover the table with! The tech kept saying "you must take all metal off, hair and body". I was irked and puzzled.

Hello...I'm not blond, my hair is dk. and short. I do not wear hairpins or anything else like that.

I have no clue where it came from. It can be dangerous.

The tech that finished up my MRI was not the one who started it. He seemed a bit odd and I even wondered if he dropped it there to be funny. NOT FUNNY.\

My normal tech is wonderful, but he had to leave early.

Anyway, I'd bring it to the attention of the place where you had the MRI. Have someone take a picture. Try using some cream or ointment with anesthetic in it, or really have the doc look at it.

Good Luck, Diane
            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Yes. The back of my head burns when I have to lie on that freaking hard table for an hour straight. It's the muscles/nerves in my scalp and probably the lack of blood flow in that area for an hour. I hate MRIs!!!!
              Diagnosed Aug. 2011 - Currently on Tysabri

Comment

MRI burn

I did have an MRI this past April of the brain,cervical and thoracic regions. Not new for me. I have had the 3 areas done before with contrast dye and never had a problem. The scan I had in April became very hot and dry making my lips and eyes very dry. Felt like a sauna.
                It appeared that the usual fan was not operating during this time. I complained about this to the technician and to the hospital but no one had any good answer. I think the fan was broken.
                Have a scan coming up this month and you can be sure I will have a chat with the technician before they start. Didn't seem right to me.

Comment

T3 MRI

There are different MRI machines. I had a MRI with a machine that was called a "T3". It is a more powerful and gives better detail.

The technician told me it would feel warm after a while. I'm always cold and had a blankie over me. After a couple of tests, brain, cervical, lumbar, I was burning up.

Maybe your MRI was done with that type of machine.

Comment

MRI heat

Thanks for responding golfore. I think it was a T1.5. Not sure. But good point. The thing that really puzzled me was the total lack of air circulating during the last part of the scan. Very dry like a sauna. Never experienced that before. Normally I am very comfortable during the MRI. Just try to use the time to space out and relax. But this was not good. Will see what happens during next scan at the end of the month.

Comment

ounce of prevention

There is a truth about what you're saying. There are risks of RF burns and increased body temps based on SAR levels. These are all out of your control. It's just part of the physics of MRI.

One thing you can do to help lessen your risk of increased body temp is to have the technologist wet 2 cloths. Put one behind your head where the original burning was and the other on your forehead or neck. These can help dissipate the heating sensations.

Also, be sure to speak up if you feel over heated at any time during the exam. Have the tech bring you cold water to drink both before and after the exam.

With all of it's minimal side effects, lets not forget where we would be without the beauty of an MRI. MS plaques do not show up well on Cat Scans. MRI has helped tremendously in the research and development of DMD meds and most cases wouldn't be diagnosed without it!

I am a bit partial, b/c I am an MRI tech....just wanted to throw that in.
                      BamaBelle

Tysabri 03/14-present

Comment

I get this all the time. Sometimes I feel like I'm an ant and someone is holding a microscope to my head.

The techs place an extra layer of padding under my head which helps a little. After long scans they try to give me a break to lessen the heat. Normally I just have to sit through it as long as I can and then we stop and put ice on. We tried just icing it from the start but that seemed to increase some of my spasticity.
                        see my MSWorld homepage to follow my blog

Comment

I've never had the heat experience, but my last MRI I could feel the machine shaking. It was a new and unsettling experience. Made me wonder if the thing was apt to fly apart at some point.

It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Yes i've had this too! And it is a burning feeling, not just a "i've been putting pressure on this area for a while and now it hurts" feeling. Extra padding doesn't help.

Comment

I just had this experience today. Came across this thread while searching for answers. This wasnt my first MRI, I've had 5 or more, once before I have experienced shocks in my arm due to touching. But today, After nearly an hour in the machine, my back and head started "heating" up. Now on my back it was a gentle warmness, like a heating pad, But the back of my head was on Fire! It was so intense I asked for them to stop , they did pause it but then started it back (I was only about 5 minutes till done) But, I was nearly in tears- here it is 12 hours later, and putting ice pack on it, and the back of my head still burns - it's pretty terrifying, Please tell me that, it got better quicky, with no long term effects?

Comment

Working...
                              X