No announcement yet.

Problems swallowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have posted this on the other post about trouble swallowing, so this may be redundant for some of you, but wanted to make sure you saw this.

I have had the same problems with swallowing or feeling food is stuck for almost 2 years. I also get severe heartburn with it that is not just in my chest, but wraps around into my back.

Once I began to have nausea and vomiting with it, I decided I'd better suck it up and see a doctor (I HATE going to the doctor's!!!). After many tests, two which required anesthesia, it was the very last test, a simple x-ray which detected the problem.

My esophagus was not moving food through at a normal rate because of esophageal spasms (which caused the pain, nausea and vomiting). I now take 3 little pills with each meal every day that "relax" the esophagus, and I've had NO problems unless I forget to take the pills for a few meals/snacks in a row!

I'm definitely not saying this is your problem, but I do know I have a tendency to immediately blame everything on MS, when in fact often it is something completely unrelated.

I just wanted to give you my experience, just in case it might help you in some way. Sometimes the answers are simpler than we expect.....I hope that is the case for you. Good luck!
    Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

I too have swallowing issues especially when Im short of sleep and my other sxs flare.

I was never sure if it was ms or gastro issue, Im on zantac and prilosec type drugs for years.

But it def' happens when Im tired and having other issues.

Its awful and I do choke easily at those times, scares the heck out of my hubby, he has rescued me a few times ugh.

I do know may stomach issues can cause this tho' Id def get that ruled out first if I could afford it.

Comment

Also: A wise soul on a board told me the mechanics of swallowing function better if you put your chin down twd your chest. Not back.
        Its true, that has helped me more then I can ever say!! Try it

Comment

i had had a lap band placed to help with weight loss and it was working steadily (slower as i am wheelchair dependat due to chronic pain, amputation and later MS effects) but i was not having problems- after a yr or so i started having poblems with food getting stuck and even having problems with some fluids-

the surgeon initally took some fluid out of the band but when problems persisted he said i must have been cheating and eating badly but i had not changed my diet. eventually i was diagnosed with MS after different problems and nest time i saw my surgeon he said that could have be why i was having swallowing problems but the only option would be to remove the and - something he described as being a disaster so i tried to make things works

but over time things worsened and i ended up in hospital with an aspiration pneumonia. i was given a barium swallowing and was diagnosed as having esophageal dysmotility sysndrome that nay or may not be related to ms, just no way to tell, i had to have the band removed as it was deemed to be dangerous and it certainly has made things easier, but i still have to be careful-

speeche path taught me the position thing about tuckin your chin back to make swallowing easier and certain foods that are "dense" such as red meat are to be avoided as they still get stuck - i have to take somac and occasionally i take maxalon as it all helps but basicallt instead of the esophagus contract in an ordered way and pushing food down, in me it contracts very weakly but also in any random dorection - so it can push upwards just as easily as down-

if i ate a dense meal such as a big steadk it would sit in the esophagus for way to long and potentially regurgitate hours later when i am asleep. my neurologist said it is not a common thing in MS so he is not convinced that that is the cause for me. it can happen in otherwise healthing people.

for any swallowing probs though an assessment by both dietician and speech pathologist can be very useful indeed in giving you tips on how to mange safely

Comment

update on dysmotility

Hi to all that have responded and thank you to everybody as well

Today I had my esophagus dilated. It was painless as I was asleep for it. I am having to problems with a sore throat and mainly I have been able to eat and drink with no problems at all today.

For those that haven't had this done it really was very simple. The Dr. just goes down your esophagus and my Dr. used a balloon to enlarge my esophagus and that was really all there was to it.

Good luck to everybody in this journey with ms and I strongly recommend to all that if your having problems swallowing address it sooner then later.

Jan, if your reading this I want you to know I wanted to email you directly but I don't know how to find your email address.
            Tira

Comment

Thank You 2344 for the update.
              sounds like it was a piece of cake! Glad you are better now! fed

Comment

Originally posted by from2344 View Post
                Jan, if your reading this I want you to know I wanted to email you directly but I don't know how to find your email address.
                Hi Tira,

Just click on mjan's name above her post, in the blue bar. A couple of choices will appear, just click on "view public profile." There you can find the e-mail address she provided.

Good to here the dilation procedure went well! (My mom has had it done three times ... I guess it's not permanent.)

Take care,
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you Kimba.

Also, unfortunately the procedure didn't work . I'm to exhausted with all this to pursue anything more right now but when I do I will post it.
                  Tira

Comment

Originally posted by from2344 View Post
                    Thank you Kimba.

Also, unfortunately the procedure didn't work . I'm to exhausted with all this to pursue anything more right now but when I do I will post it.
                    What do you mean the procedure didn't work? You are STILL having problems swallowing??

Let me know..HUGS

Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!
                    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                    X