Big fan of Audible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big fan of Audible

Love it! Someone reads you the story, while you lie peacefully on your pillow. Yes, I know, free ad, but it's as quick to download a book as Kindle, and you don't have to hold your IPad.
    It is brilliant. I don't know what I would have done before we had all this fantastic technology.

I love Audible, too. Did you get the $5 credit they're giving in celebration of their one millionth fan on Facebook? It's available to the first 100,000 people who click. I'll attach the link. I hope the mods allow it. If not, you can find it on their Facebook page or on Audible.com though it might be hard to find.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Sorry, thinkimjob.

I forgot that a link had to be to both to a reputable site (which that is) and about MS. I'd hoped that this being a board for books, not MS and this post in regards to Audible specifically, it might be allowed, as product links are allowed in the assistive devices board. They aren't about MS specifically but are reputable and pertain to the topic.

I won't put it in my profile as it's a limited offer and I don't want to have anyone looking for it if I forget to remove it later. As I said before, if you're interested try searching audible.com or their Facebook page.

Comment

Yes, indeedy. Thank you, MrsBones.

Comment

audible has been a lifesaver

Thanks for the heads up on the $5 audible coupon, I found Audible on FB and the link for the coupon was right there, easy peasy!

I have always been a crazy book lover and the combination of vision and cognitive problems have robbed me of the ability to read and comprehend much more than a magazine article It really has been a devastating loss and then I found Audible. It took me a while to get used to and I listen to very different books than I read.

The narrator is a big factor and how the words sound more than what they say, if that makes any sense.
          M.
          A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by maitrimama View Post
            Thanks for the heads up on the $5 audible coupon, I found Audible on FB and the link for the coupon was right there, easy peasy!

I have always been a crazy book lover and the combination of vision and cognitive problems have robbed me of the ability to read and comprehend much more than a magazine article It really has been a devastating loss and then I found Audible. It took me a while to get used to and I listen to very different books than I read.

The narrator is a big factor and how the words sound more than what they say, if that makes any sense.
            I totally get it. I find it somehow odd when the narrator is of an opposite sex to the main character. It's sometimes distracting to hear a female character read by a male narrator and vice versa. Plus, accents? One or two verge on offensive, they're so badly done, they sound mocking.

Anyhoo...You might also want to consider a Talking Book through the NLS. Those links can be put in my profile. I'd always hoped they'd be stickied here, as they're an excellent resource for those either visually impaired or physically unable to handle a book, as many of us are. I know I'm dependent on audio books or a device that can read books to me.

The Talking Book device is on a long term loan to the member (lifetime or until you decide to return it and they do any maintenance/replacement needed). There are two methods to obtain books.

First, when you become a member, you specify which genres you like, favorite authors, etc. and the NLS automatically sends those books periodically with no return date, though you can only have two at a time. You can also request specific books.

Second, you can download books yourself, either onto a flash drive or a specifically designed "cartridge" (read flash drive that fits a certain way into the device and is easy to handle with visual or physical impairment). The downloaded books are kept until you delete them. There's no returning them like you have with digital loans from the library or Amazon.

The books themselves are read by volunteers. I've found the quality to often surpass the purchased books that you might get from Audible. They have books you might find at any library, even the 50 Shades Trilogy. They also carry more obscure books, older books and disability specific books you may not find in the average library.

All you have to do, is fill out the application and have it signed by the appropriate person, then mail it in. I had my dr sign, but if you look at the list of acceptable people, it's almost anyone but your little sister.

All in all, easy and worthwhile. There isn't ever postage to send the books back. The blank cartridge and the cord needed to use it must be bought separately, but when bought as a package from a place like Perkin's (link in profile) there's no shipping because it's "reading matter for the blind and handicapped".

Comment

I've been considering adding the Audible app to my tablet. Now, I read a lot of Amazon books, but, to be honest -- I'm cheap.

So, I have a bunch of websites that I subscribe to that alert me to free e-books.
              - I'm wondering -- are free audio books available too, or do we have to purchase all of them?

~ Faith
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                I've been considering adding the Audible app to my tablet. Now, I read a lot of Amazon books, but, to be honest -- I'm cheap.

So, I have a bunch of websites that I subscribe to that alert me to free e-books.
                - I'm wondering -- are free audio books available too, or do we have to purchase all of them?

~ Faith
                I'm pretty sure Audible has only purchasable books. They do have sales and some books have a discount attached if you own the ebook. There are other sites that have the classics ie, out of copyright books, for free but the current ones are harder to find legally.

Your best bet is to join a library that has digital loans which provide both ebook and audio formats, though not every book is in both, or see if you qualify for the NLS Talking Book program, which is obviously, audio, free and books you download from BARD (their library download site) can be kept as long as you want. I keep an external hard-drive full of books I relisten to.

Comment

Doing a little necromancy here, but I have another reason to love Audible. Well, Audible and Kindle Fire HD and HDX. It's a relatively new feature, Whispersync. Whispersync allows for a couple of nifty things.

First, if you buy a Kindle book that is also available in audio format from Audible and it is Whispersync compatible (most are, if it isn't, it's usually because the audio version is too new), you can buy the Audible version at a deep discount. I've found them as low as 99¢ up to $3.99. Keep in mind, those are for the books I owned and I didn't shop with an eye on the audio companion pricing. They can be bought separately if you are sure you are looking at the same edition of both books, bought at a prompt when opening a book you own for which the Whispersync enabled Audible book is available or Amazon has a page that will tell you which of the books you own can be "upgraded" with an Audible companion.

If you now own both Kindle and Whispersync enabled Audible version, instead of using the standard TTS voice on a Kindle Fire HD or HDX to listen to the Kindle book, as many of us do, it will kindly substitute the "professional narration" of the Audible book and highlight the corresponding text in what they call "immersion reading".

Finally, if again, you own both Kindle and Audible versions, you can seamlessly listen to and read a book without losing your place. Listen to your Audible book, then go home and pick up the text in the same spot you left off. Very handy to enjoy a book across numerous devices and locations.

Comment

Working...
                  X