Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebif - Waking up in the middle of the night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebif - Waking up in the middle of the night?

Anyone had a situation where after taking their Rebif at bedtime they wake up at like 2-3 in the morning?

I've had this happen on several occasions, and I'm curious if anyone knows a way to solve this problem. Usually I just take NyQuil and it's lights out in 10 minutes, but I'd rather not have to self-medicate to solve this problem.

Thanks.

I've been on Rebif for over 13 years and seldom woke up in the middle of the night because of it.

it doesn't mean that it never happened. This usually happened when I don't take Advil for the flu-like symptoms before hand and wake up, in the middle of the night, with the chills.

However, when I take the recommended meds for the flu-like symptoms (in my case one Advil) before I do my shot, I don't wake up.

I don't know how long you've been on Rebif but I'd look at other factors before assuming it's the Rebif.

It could just be anxiety, other meds doing it, etc.

As always, let your doc know if this side effect continues.
    "It's easier to be critical than correct."- Disraeli

Comment

I've never actually pre-medicated with ibuprofen. I've seen this on the forums and such, but never done it. I'll give that a shot and see if it works.

Ibuprofen, by nature, is an anti-inflammatory medication, so it's not clear how that solves the flu-like symptoms, but I'll give it a shot.

Eric

Comment

To avoid night waking, I take mine at 6 pm, not at bedtime. I premedicate with Tylenol about an hour before, then take one more at bedtime. It helps me not wake up at night and to not wake up with symptoms.
        Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
        Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
        Gilenya since 11/2014.
        Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
        EDSS 3.

Comment

Originally posted by ericppl View Post
          I've never actually pre-medicated with ibuprofen. I've seen this on the forums and such, but never done it. I'll give that a shot and see if it works.

Ibuprofen, by nature, is an anti-inflammatory medication, so it's not clear how that solves the flu-like symptoms, but I'll give it a shot.

Eric
          If what you're using to pre-medicate is already taking care of any flu like symptoms, then switching to something else isn't necessarily going to solve your problem.

However, if you're not pre-medicating as advised and getting up because you're getting the chills, then pre-medicating (as advised by your GP or MSLifelines Nurse) is best.

Frankly, it doesn't sound like this is the case but I can only go by what you wrote in your post.

Also, if memory serves, I think the nurse who came out to show me how to inject Rebif did recommend Tylenol, at the time. However, I think I stuck with Advil because I was already using it for muscle aches, etc.

Lucia
          "It's easier to be critical than correct."- Disraeli

Comment

I use Aleve because it lasts all night. I take it either just before or at the same time as rebif. Usually don't wake up til about 6 AM then. Nice.

Comment

I'm new to Rebif, but I've found that a generic Motrin PM (Advil, ibuprofen) gets me throught the night okay. I didn't take anything the first time and woke during the night with body aches.
              RRMS since July 2010.

Comment

will try

thanks for asking this question. I will also try this, pre-medicate. I am 3 weeks on rebif and last night was the worse I've ever felt, talked with lifeline nurse and she also suggested pre medicating. This forum is wonderful.

Comment

I am always waking up during the night and usually it is on the nights I take my injection.

Think it may just be an issue with bathroom, my son, worries, etc. Or could be a side effect from MS!

Comment

Originally posted by ericppl View Post
                    Anyone had a situation where after taking their Rebif at bedtime they wake up at like 2-3 in the morning?

I've had this happen on several occasions, and I'm curious if anyone knows a way to solve this problem. Usually I just take NyQuil and it's lights out in 10 minutes, but I'd rather not have to self-medicate to solve this problem.

Thanks.
                    It affects my sleep quality. Not sure if directly or due to all the water I have to drink to avoid the worst of the morning after body joint and head aches it induces in me.

Comment

I usually feel a slight energy boost after my night-time injection 3x/week, which I don't want at night anyway, but I take a natural supplement called "Sleep" from Nature Made or melatonin gummies. That relaxes me enough to sleep better.
                      Nikki

Comment

Working...
                      X