Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see this debate in the NY Times?

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...g-lyme-disease

Sheila - just wanted to thank you for bringing more attention to Lyme disease. I had an acquaintance who was dx with probable MS a few years back only to finally get the proper dx of Lyme. She was really in a bad way for a long time, but doing much better now.

I hope you are doing well!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you for posting that!

Comment

@seasha I'm so glad your acquaintance finally got the proper diagnosis and hope she is getting proper treatment now. I'm glad MS World picked up these subforums because I think there may be others dealing with the same dilemma as your acquaintance who would have a chance at a normal life again. It would not be appropriate to raise false hopes, but then, it would be sad to see someone to surrender to a disease that was misdiagnosed.

It is so difficult to diagnose Lyme in the midst of so many identical symptoms and signs. Once Lyme has been identified then the dilemma of treating it faces doctors who are either ignorant of the disease, afraid to treat it appropriately for fear of being investigated by their review board and possibly losing their license, or face failed 28-day treatment because they adhered to policy which is five years old and behind current research. They also face derision and/or reporting by their peers.

The doctors who step forward are real heros.

@misslux.Your welcome!

Comment

There was also an article by Michael Specter in The New Yorker this summer on Lyme. (Hoping this link is OK.)

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...a_fact_specter

And this week's New Yorker actually has an article about autoimmunity in general by a woman struggling to deal with diagnosing and living with an autoimmune disorder (Hashimoto's). It's not as well-written an article as the above, and reads like an excerpt from an upcoming memoir.

Comment

So sad. If the doctor had treated her starting that day it probably never would have become chronic. Such a waste of lives and finances.

Comment

Working...
            X