MS & Perimenopause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS & Perimenopause

Do the two effect each other in anyway? I'm 42 and think I'm starting the early stages of the change...yippee.

Just wondering if MS makes it worse or does it affect symptoms of MS in any way?

Hope this makes sense ... it does in my mind but not sure it came out right.

Penny

There have been a few studies on hormones and MS so I think they do play a role. I know I feel best the week I am on my period (well aside from the bloating and cramping).

Comment

I don't know what it would be like to go through the change without M.S., but here I am in my late 40s and getting PMS...wicked, I mean WICKED lower back pains. Is it M.S. or perimenapause or both? Never had PMS before, oddly enough.
      Tawanda

Comment

I asked my neuro

Because I'm starting menopause and I know estriol improves MS--what happens when my estrogen level drops? He said it shouldn't make a difference positive or negative. I don't know if he doesn't know, or if it's true. I do know that 10 months with no period, and the course of my MS is pretty much what it was before. But I'm the only guinea pig in this study, not sure if I'm typical or just lucky. Good luck!

Comment

I can only say from my personal experience.

When I was first diagnosed, I was in perimenopause. I have often said that I didn't "get" MS, I got menopause. My first neuro said that I have probably had MS since I was 18 or so (based on symptoms).

It wasn't until "the change" hit that the symptoms were enough to push the issue. So I would say that things definitely accelerated at that time.

If you are armed with the knowledge and the diagnosis at this point, I hope that will keep things on track for you.

Comment

Working...
          X