Well, I've done it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I've done it again

For some odd reason the pen I used last night kept refusing to unlock its mechanism and of course when I stop having it pressed against my leg and push on the button, it injects all its contents...onto my bathroom floor. Anyone else ever have this sort of thing happen? This is the second pen I've goofed up with, which I can't help but think is $800 worth of goof-up
    Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
    UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

I've screwed up an auto injector by not attaching the needle before I pulled back on the pen. I know dumb but we are only human. I also a couple weeks later froze three doses as my fridge went on the blink. Avonex replaced them all 4 for no charge. So call them and remember you are not the only one.

Comment

Thanks babyduckling! I did call them and they said they will get back to me
      Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
      UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Glad to hear and thanks for the toothy grin.

Comment

Hi. Don't worry about it.

1) When you're having trouble, hold the different sides of the pen in each hand and just pull it in and out a little bit to loosen it. Keep your fingers away from the button while you do this.

2) Don't press the button when you are first pushing the pen onto your leg - if your thumb is on the button, it can't unlock. HOld the tube in your hand and press just the top tube down slowly until you can hear/feel the little click. Then put your thumb on top and it will fire.

3) If you call Avonex 1-800-456-2255 and tell them you sprayed your floor. They will need a prescription from your doctor and they will send you out a new one for free. This also works if your refrigerator breaks and you lose a whole pack.

Comment

I haven't done that yet... but

I did notice with my last 3 months supply of Avonex, pushing the button was very difficult, it sometimes took almost 30 seconds for it to inject. I've been doing the pen since May 2012, so I don't think it was my technique. I'd have to let go of the button and reposition it and hear the little click but then it would take a long time and suddenly ZAP, would inject.

I just got my newest 3 month supply and the first one I used was much quicker and easier. So I'm wondering if it is in the manufacturing process that it happens... OR if it might be that since the pens are recycled there may be some that aren't as easy to use after the first go around. Hmmm.

Comment

I was having difficulty with the button pushing on the pen, and an Avonex/MS nurse came to give me a new teaching session. She gave me 2 tips- the 1st I have no idea if it helps, but the 2nd makes all the difference. Having pulled out the pen to unsheath the needle, she told me to pull up and down on the 2 halves to loosen the spring a bit. Then, and this is the tip I am sure is useful- hold the pen high up when injecting. That is, nearer the button. I was holding it much closer to the base . She had lots of pens to practise with that had no needles them- I tried it both ways. Holding near the bottom was difficult, near the top easy. I did a real injection on Friday and it worked like a dream.

Comment

I've always been lacking in arm/hand strength and quite often find that the button is a little resistant to my weak attempts. I think perhaps they (biogen) does this intentionally to prevent the premature release of the medication. that said, i've found if i get it in my mindset that with concentration, i can deliver the meds with no problem. i've been on avonex for a little over a year - and when given the opportunity to transfer to tec, i declined. i'm lucky, i guess - i only suffer mild symptoms 12-18 hrs after taking my dose, and most of those i sleep thru. funny thing - what i dread the most lately is icing the injection area. for some reason, that annoys me the most - even in the extreme heat!! good luck and stay strong!

Comment

Working...
                X