Gilenya and menstruation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya and menstruation

Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with RRMS a little over a year ago and have been on Gilenya ever since. I recently had a pregnancy scare and stopped Gilenya (w/ my neuro's okay). Anyway, I have since started my period, so thankfully I'm not pregnant after all. In the week that I've been off Gilenya, I've had some brown discharge, which isn't typical for me. Also, my period starting a day early (its usually like clock work) and is heavier than usual. It just occurred to me that maybe these changes are due to me stopping Gilenya and I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this. I can't seem to find anything about it online. Thanks so much!

All of the DMDs can screw up your hormones and menstrual cycle. The more heavy duty the medicine is it seems like the more likely it is to happen. It can happen after starting a medicine or stopping or both. It seems like the prescribing information never contains menstrual effects. But the issue comes up from time to time in MS forums so it does happen. My meds knocked my periods out of whack too - timing, duration and other characteristics. Even Solu-Medrol affected my periods. So it makes sense that when you stopped Gilenya your hormone cycle got disrupted, your hormone levels changed and your period changed. I think everything will balance out again in another cycle or two. Mine always did.

Comment

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. I'm glad to hear this from someone who has experienced it, as well. I started back on the Gilenya today, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon. Thanks again!

Comment

I stopped gilenya to prepare for pregnancy. I now get a normal period and then the next month it's about 2 days long and nothing but that same brown stuff.

Comment

I'm not sure all the meds can screw up your menstrual cycle. I never had any issues on either Avonex or Tysabri. I'm about to start Gilenya and it seems like I may be going into perimenopause now. Regardless of stopping Tysabri, I am within normal age range for irregularities to start manifesting themselves, I guess, so I may look into something hormonal to help regulate them.

Is it standard protocol to prescribe low dose birth control to encourage regular menstrual periods? Or do they discourage that now based on studies showing a correlation between heart issues and use of hormone therapy for PMS?

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

[QUOTE=Lisa.R;1421269]Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with RRMS a little over a year ago and have been on Gilenya ever since. I recently had a pregnancy scare and stopped Gilenya (w/ my neuro's okay). Anyway, I have since started my period, so thankfully I'm not pregnant after all.

My youngest is now 7 and I knew I was pregnant with him when my period was lighter then normal. Pregnancy test was positive.

I had a light flow throughout pregnancy and all was normal otherwise. He was born at 30 wks, most likely b/c I had light bleeding throughout.

He is now a great little guy and dx w/ high functioning autism. I would not trade him

ms dx 1995

Comment

Working...
            X